Weekend Photo Fun! 1-6-06

Might as well add what I did this morning:

DSCF2672.sized.jpg

...and all I've got to show is a few piles of dirt!

WOW, a lotta nice stuff in here this weekend!

GM, nice stuff, looks like you're really into modeling the '30's... ;) I sure wish I couldv'e seen some of those Burlington red-gray-white units in real life before the BN merger...

CJ, those are really great shots of Rex's layout, especially the one where his blast furnace is being tapped!

Jeff, that's a good looking base color on your MDF, I'll have to try that myself...

Dave, nice shots of your MP1500. If I didn't know better I'd have thought you have an HO layout! BTW can you tell us who makes the semi-tanker in the second photo?

Roman, I like that Lego-based depot roof - it's really amazing what us MRR's do do with that stuff with a bit of imagination!

Now I suppose I should give you guys a hint on what I've been doing these last few days. I [sort-of] finished my raw materials pit, the toughest part was making some hollow-core ore and limestone piles. First I spraypainted some aluminum foil, then I sprinkled WS 'iron ore' ballast on for the ore, and light gray for the limestone (barely visible in background).

Ken

I think they are Herpa's for the tanker and the cab over unit. Most of the more detailed cars are from GHQ, the police car and the wrecker that seems to have plowed into the gas station sign :)

Those 2 piles looks great, what did you use and how? I would love to get that effect for come coal piles and scrap yard piles.

Those new MP15's from Atlas are incredible! The level of factory detail is amazing. I would think the new MP15's in HO will be even more so, you know they are making some in CSX ;) you may need one MU'd to a GP38.

Great pictures everyone,
Ken get the loaders to work on the layout Ken, somebody has dumped a load of Iron ore for the furnaces
here's my contribution, it's a bit of a dial up users nightmare but what the heck.

I took these today at the Preston model railway show in the UK, there was everything from Z to G scale on show and some bargains were had as well, i got 9 house and store buildings in HO for £10 built up, i also got a brick bridge a scale 80ft long for £4...

First up was this Z scale diorama in a box, it's a Pensy F unit
124963112.gif

next was this monster G scale layout, my children are enjoying this one
124962913.gif

next is an O scale trackworker fixing a turnout control
124962789.gif

next is an HOn30 diorama in a box
124962655.gif

next is an N scale layout showcasing the historic bridge between Cornwall and Devon
124962376.gif

and this is the other end, even in N scale it's a monster
124962270.gif

next is this HO scale layout based on a Greek scene, everything except the rolling stock is scratch built

124962110.gif

Can you spot the Goats on the roof ???
124961827.gif

124961037.gif

124960962.gif

and thats all folks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some more shots I just took, I need to get some lighting equipment someday to get some better pictures, also I heard there is a new SLR type for around $500.00.

Anyway here are some more.

Backdrop, my girlfriend claims she will do all my backdrops so hopefully they all turn out like the first one.

Crossing shot has roads that nowhere equal what Johnny has done, can't wait for the clinic :)

Got a shot of the unit train hitting Huxtable Hill for the entry into West Presence for the plant.

All those MP15's are getting paint and decals done very soon in the TP&W scheme, this I am very excited about, I have beeen a TipUp fan all my life, my grandfather was a Traffic Manager there.

David Great shot of the Conrail "Quallity" loco, you lucky guy having a girlfriend to do your backdrops

KenL - it's of the "oops" cart at Home Depot - I think I paid a buck for a quart of the stuff. Nice basic brown.

DThurman - can I borrow your girlfriend? Just for backdrop painting, mind you!

dthurman said:
Those 2 piles looks great, what did you use and how? I would love to get that effect for come coal piles and scrap yard piles...
Thanx Dave! Actually, what I did was NOT what I originally wanted to do: Visit my local lumber yard and get ~3 buckets full of sawdust, then arrange the stuff in scale piles, spray some matte medium an cover with paint and ballast. I never had time to get to the lumber yard, so I spraypainted some aluminum foil and covered that with ballast, then draped it over some stacks of leftover MDF. The photo shows the 'good' side, but I was disappointed in the other side - too many unwanted folds, I'll need to get some sawdust and cover them up with that plus a veneer of WS ballast.

I really like those later shots of your layout, esp. the one with the grain elevator and yard.

Steve - Looks like you got a nice break from your digging ;) , judging from those pics of the Preston train show! My favorite is the N-scale one with the long bridge over a channel, with a ship underneath. I'm hoping to snag a few 'deals' at the upcoming GSMTS on my side of the pond...

Last edited by a moderator:
Grande Man,I have something for you to post on the week-end photo fun. By this week-end I will have in my hands two of the new Atlas MP-15 SOUTHERN yard switchers. The first is already here,the second arrives later this week. The next two to arrive will be a pair of undec's that I will do in L&N. But that is a later project.William.:)

L&N Castle said:
Grande Man,I have something for you to post on the week-end photo fun. By this week-end I will have in my hands two of the new Atlas MP-15 SOUTHERN yard switchers. The first is already here,the second arrives later this week. The next two to arrive will be a pair of undec's that I will do in L&N. But that is a later project.William.:)

Hey William. Bring them to the ARG meet Saturday and we'll get some pics. They sound like a cool new addition to your collection. :cool:

Ken the boats moved by magnets on tracks under the brown muddy water, even the car ferry went back and too. My fav was the Greek layout, the pics didn't do it justice, it was fantastic.

Great weekend post fellows. I enjoyed them all. Still trying to get something complete so that I can join you.

Steve: You must have had a very good time at the show and it looks like it was a big one. Have you thought about a holiday to go over to Hamburg and visit 'Miniatur Wunderland' as featured in MR magazine? That must be incredible to see with its $4.6 million exhibits. The American layout has over 6,500 feet of mainline.

Back