Weekend Photo Fun 1-30/2-02

NIevo, I am grateful for your compliment. Thank-you!

The far rails are painted, using a small artist's brush, with PolyScale "Railroad Tie Brown". The close rails were weathered the same way with Floguil "Rust".

The ballast between the rails was brushed with a mixture of tempera powder (a mix of black and brown) and plaster of Paris. Once mixed, the mixture powder is liberally brushed between the rails, including on the ties, and then the layer is sprayed lightly, but enough to wet it, with a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. It dries in less than an hour if you have not over sprayed, and looks very good once it is done. If insufficient to show well, repeat the process.

-Crandell

First time posting here. Please be kind.

Decided to try some weathering without the air brush. These were both done with an acrylic wash and weathering powders.

model-rail-pics005.jpg

Please excuse the background. I've started work on a scenic test track which I'll use for subsequent pics.

model-rail-pics006.jpg

The 40 footer is a Branchlines and possibly the worst fitting kit I've ever built.

Some really great stuff this weekend.

this makes me cry, i have one almost like those, picked it up last year from a garage sale cheap, sadly is is horribly damaged, these little punks hated the two UP engine's i rescued, the roves have been wriped or cut off, wheel are missing, no couplers, i nearly cried but i took them anyways thinking, well i might be able to slowly put them back together, ill get pictures up shortly.
I really like this set. I bought it primarily for the dummy unit. I can pack it's plastic frame with modeling clay to weight it then put it into consist behind my two SDP40F's.

I really like this set. I bought it primarily for the dummy unit. I can pack it's plastic frame with modeling clay to weight it then put it into consist behind my two SDP40F's.

Sounds like the prototypical practice of making a powered unit into a slug...

Sounds like the prototypical practice of making a powered unit into a slug...
Exactly! Here's the powered unit after being rebuilt to 8 wheel pickup and 8 wheel drive. Outwardly there's no difference. All the changes are under the hood so to speak.

P1310911.jpg

Andrew, good job for your first time. The rust on the BCOL boxcar looks about right. The SP&S boxcar looks a little too blotchy and uneven. I'm not sure what load you were trying to depict with the white weathering but it's unusual to see that on a boxcar. A covered hopper carrying lime or cement would be a more likely candidate for a lot of white residue.

Sunset Models S-8

Just finished this one up. Started with bare brass. Two tenders so that we don't get tired of the same appearance. Taken at the club layout.

1128-1.jpg

1128-2.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Got to put the windows in & a few final touch ups.

First time posting here. Please be kind.

Decided to try some weathering without the air brush. These were both done with an acrylic wash and weathering powders.

The 40 footer is a Branchlines and possibly the worst fitting kit I've ever built.

First, congrats on trying. You'd be surprised how many never do. I'd agree that the SP&S car should go under the tap & start over, but the BC Railways car looks good. White residue like that could also be from kaolin...they used 40 footers for almost everything at some point.

In general, it's good to use photos as a "go by". There's a prototype for everything when it comes to dirt, but my best results are always based on pics of the real thing. You also get lots of good ideas!

Alan, beautiful little engine. I almost hate to say it but it's kind of cute. :) Were the S8's the model also used on the Carson & Colorado narrow gauge?

Jim, Alan: Thanks for the comments. Looking at the photo I agree about the SP&S. I was trying to fade using a gray pigment but in the light it does look too blotchy and white. Off to the sink with a tooth brush methinks. On reflection I may go back to using the airbrush as a base for the weathering and only use the powders for highlighting the rust and heavy grime.

Some shots of the Como High School, had a great time laying in all of the various decorative shingles on the gables. Still have to set this on its stone base which slopes front to back. Not surprising the grade school (also to be built) that was right next door was nearly twice as big and much more fancy. Since this piece was going to have only very light weathering it was built from Evergreen sheet with the gable shingles being wood.

Some of the pieces that went out this week. The coaling tower is a Raggs to Riches laser cut kit was like all of Joe's kits is a breeze to build. The four out houses are for a single client and are complete with interiors including the traditional catalog for paper.

A couple cheap K-Line cars I just weathered.
Before:
IMG_0013.png

After:
IMG_0064.png

IMG_0072.png

MainPic-2.png

Before:
IMG_0008.png

After:
IMG_0043.png

IMG_0054-1.png

I usally do all my weathering with an airbrush and Floquil paints but I've been messing around with the Bragdon Weathering Powders. The powder really brings out the detail but it's tough to clear coat w/o loosing the look of the powder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back