Weekend Photo Fun 01/20/06

Nice pictures Ken, now I have to get some shots to contribute.

Gee Whiz Ken Have I got a Harbour for you. You don't mind geting your feet wet do ya?

Excellent Work!

Fergie

Here are 2 shots I took tonight.

1. Is the unit train switching out the power plant, you can see the WPG train PCW101 held at the viaduct for the train to clear the main.

2. This ones for KenL, this is our first official load of steel coils from his Ohio plant. Cruise Machine Works thanks you, as well as all those Coke and Pepsi drinkers, as this load will be used to make new vending machines ;)

Here's our contribution. Note to self, redo those number boards for close ups...:eek:

126491548.jpg

Well gee-willikers everbody, I'm speechless...!

NoSpaceOreCashRR said:
Ken, I'm blown away:cool: Looks like to took a photo of a prototype, soooooo nice looking.
chrismoore93 said:
Wow Ken that looks incredible:D It looks like it's very real and prototypical :)
Chris
Thanx Bob & Chris, now if I could only get rid of that gap under the hull...;)

Lady_Railfan said:
Wow! I thought I was back in Duluth!
Did you grow up there Claudia? Wow it must've been bitter cold during this time of year....!:eek:

dthurman said:
Nice pictures Ken, now I have to get some shots to contribute.
I know what you can show us David: How about some pics of your electric power plant with the slag lake?:cool:

AGGRO said:
Dee-zam! Excellent Ken.
Well gosh Aggro...thanx!:eek: Coming from you, that really means a lot!

grande man said:
Great work, Ken. Very impressive!
Thanx Eric! Are you still planning to make "industrial switching" the theme for February's photo contest <hint><hint>?:D

Fergmiester said:
Gee Whiz Ken Have I got a Harbour for you. You don't mind geting your feet wet do ya? ...
Fergie, with the chemicals in that water - it's no wonder they smell the way they do!:p

dthurman said:
2. This ones for KenL, this is our first official load of steel coils from his Ohio plant. Cruise Machine Works thanks you, as well as all those Coke and Pepsi drinkers, as this load will be used to make new vending machines ;)
Well David, it appears that the first load of coils from Houghschnaegel got safely to their destination!:D

grande man said:
Here's our contribution. Note to self, redo those number boards for close ups...:eek:

126491548.jpg

Eric, Have you thought about using Testors white-background decal 'paper' to do numberboards? That's the only way I do mine anymore, and it solves the problem of trying to cutout individual digits and trying to make them line up perfectly.:) That Helicon (sp?) software really gives outstanding results though, your picture is more sharply focused than any of mine. I may yet find myself getting a license for it myself, 'Rebel' or no...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Ken, I pulled up the "realistic water" in the slag/settling lake/pond because I had major air bubbles appear :( So I am in the process of relaying the slag bank, then I have to repaint the lake floor bed, and then I think I am going to try Mod Podge Gloss-Lustre for the water this time. I wasn't happy with the Woodland Scenic water. Too soft and shrinks WAY TOO MUCH.

Your lake water threw me at first, I thought you had poured it, but then saw it was plastic :) it gave a nice effect.

dthurman said:
Well Ken, I pulled up the "realistic water" in the slag/settling lake/pond because I had major air bubbles appear :( So I am in the process of relaying the slag bank, then I have to repaint the lake floor bed, and then I think I am going to try Mod Podge Gloss-Lustre for the water this time. I wasn't happy with the Woodland Scenic water. Too soft and shrinks WAY TOO MUCH.

Your lake water threw me at first, I thought you had poured it, but then saw it was plastic :) it gave a nice effect.

Hmmm, sorry to hear about your bad experience with the WS water, I'd better do some serious experimentation before I pour my 'creek' that flows past East Minister.

For my harbor water, I'll have to un-glue it in a few spots - that was causing some of those 'ripples' to form along the wrong axes. I had hoped to make the whole sheet smooth and then form the 'waves' to be parallel with the Marquette's hull, the way they are now it looks as though she's underway...

Since I only have about a foot of scenery on my Nscale testing diorama, this is the only photo I'll be able to contribute for quite a while.

The sepia conversion features simulated film grain in photoshop, which looks too coarse to me now.

Model is an Atlas N RS-3 with a MicroTrains Katy autoparts car, on Atlas Code-55 flextrack.
The trees started out as live miniature rose stems.

Comments and critiques are most welcome, as I'm not a very good modeler.

Thanks for looking.

Very nice Keith! Track, ballast and the setting of the scene are superb. I like that "old" look picture. Best of all, it's "N SCALE", the normal scale ;)

CSX_road_slug said:
Hmmm, sorry to hear about your bad experience with the WS water, I'd better do some serious experimentation before I pour my 'creek' that flows past East Minister.

For my harbor water, I'll have to un-glue it in a few spots - that was causing some of those 'ripples' to form along the wrong axes. I had hoped to make the whole sheet smooth and then form the 'waves' to be parallel with the Marquette's hull, the way they are now it looks as though she's underway...
Try this:
http://www.unrealdetails.com/

Swissengineer said:
Ken,
I`m very imressed by your steel mill. Exellent work.
Thank you Stefan, I say the same for your coal train video - that's better than many of the so-called 'professional' ones I've seen!:cool:

Is the C40-8 a Kato model? I noticed it has see-thru wire mesh.

Back