Weekend! May 20, What Are You Working On?

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
The Weekend is upon us and another week ahead, what are your plans to make your little plastic people (LPP's) happier? Myself I'm still doing ground cover The batch of shredded foam I previously made is in the dye pot now, I'll most likely remove it to dry tonight.
Cheers Willis

Me... I'm gonna run trains and improve the environment by cleaning up the apartment. I've spent too much this month on train related stuff.

I wish I had some time. I've been trying to get my garden to a point where I can mostly ignore it for the summer. Been spreading lots of grass among the plants to keep the weeds down. I thought about plastic, but just don't have the $$ to do it.

This from an old timer, I've never tried it myself.
News Papers, and covered with some topsoil, openings for the plant stems. The weeds cannot take root and are easily removed if they try, the topsoil dries out, the paper keeps most moisture below for the plant roots. Earth worms find a home below the paper, supposed to be a win win situation for everyone but the weeds. Water your plants normaly. I don't know for sure but other than the work doing it, it's cheap enough. Now if you don't get the news paper and the neighbours won't give you theirs then it'll cost you. :D
Cheers Willis

Oooh! I forgot about newspaper.

I get the paper for free, so at least I'll finally get my money's worth out of it.

I get the paper for free, so at least I'll finally get my money's worth out of it.
Now if you could only get someone else to do the work for the same cost and you'd be home free, which means you'd have time for the layout and trains. :D
Cheers Willis

Now if you could only get someone else to do the work for the same cost and you'd be home free, which means you'd have time for the layout and trains.
Cheers Willis

hey SDP45 that sounds like an offer to do the work to me :D

i have a car show saterday so my corvette needs smoe spot cleaning so hopefully sunday or monday will be a train day. and i need to get my

PROTO 1K RS-1 in D&H black and yellow :cool:

Hopefully I can get some work done on my OO/HO 1870's ten wheeler. I am converting it from the MDC old time Mogul w/63" drivers.

may_21_ten_wheeler.JPG

Just a thought
Harold

Just a thought
Hi Harold, well sir keep right on thinking :D. That looks like it's going to be one sweet model. Be sure to keep us posted on the progress. It looks like a lot of work but will certainly be worth the effort when finished. We see lots of kitbashed diesels, but steamers are a rariety nowdays so it's an welcome extra to see your model under construction.
Well for my own rather uninteresting projects I removed the shredded foam from the dye pot (pic), and it is now laid out in thin layers to dry before putting through the grinder. By grinding I get 3 grades, fine, medium and coarse after sifting with two strainers.
Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been slowly working on this GP7. It's my first attempt at detailing. I've never had the guts to take an expensive locomotive and start cutting on it. I'll tell ya, it took me about 10 mins to get up the courage to cut the exhaust stacks off. :D
This week I got a little braver and cut the sloped pilot off the end and replaced it with som hose pockets and footboards. The one is a little messy right now, I've been experimenting with safety stripes.

I just got the CALL! My little train will be home on Wednesday!! That gives me a day to clean up the weeds again (the never-ending task), and take a swipe at the track just to get the bird poops and snail tracks off. The trails of ants that love to "travel by rail" will have to fend for themselves.

Willis, sorry I never got a pic for you of me pulling the train around the track with a rope. :D

I never got a pic for you of me pulling the train around the track with a rope
No problem, I'm glad it never got to that, but we're going to want some phots of it under power :D
with som hose pockets and footboards
Looking good!, I like the footboards with the hose pockets. The same setup would look good on my next two RS18's. Who makes those items? Part numbers ? , LOL I'll have to start searching now for delivery in the fall.
Cheers Willis

Thank's mushroom2, Detail Associates are not too difficult to get even if theyre not in stock. I'll get them on order shortly.
Cheers Willis

I guess this is now "what I accomplished on the weekend" (long weekend for us Canucks)...

Went and checked out another area hobby shop (Modellers Choice of Hamilton ON) while picking up my sister at the airport. Nice thing about picking up a government employee is the tank of gas gets paid for. :) I bought some #6 turnouts for my mainline. Also did a whole pile of work on outdoor priorities, so I should be able go back inside and finish the drywall in my layout room and build another module frame in the next couple weeks....

Back