Weathering with Polly Scale

funnelfan

Here are a couple recent attempts at weathering with Polly Scale paint. Still not quite happy with the results. I dilluted the paint with 70% isopropyl alcohol, but I'm going to look for a bottle of 90%.

Also, I'm working on this project next. On the Walthers website they were having a sale on Trinity cement hoppers including these BN stenciled hoppers for about $11 each (retail is $18). So I picked up three of them and this decal set. I'm going to apply the large logos to the cars since the rest of the lettering is already there, and get the hoppers that I really want! Walthers was also selling their 60' Auto Parts boxcars for $11 each, so I picked up BN and UP versions.

Thata neat job Ted, was it you who did a BN spine car set a few years back, it was on Ebay for sale, they looked cool.

yeah, I sold both a BN and TTX spine car set complete with trailers and containers a while back on E-bay. Kinda wish I had them back now, but oh well!

Shoot, the CHTT & GBW are on sale too, along with a few other auto parts boxcars. I'll have to order a few this coming week, if they don't sell out. Need to order more from Walthers anyways!

Oh yeah, windex works wonders with water based paints!

Ted, I'm gonna pick up some og the gold line and the RTR hoppers, thanks for pointing them out to mee, I went back & dug out the sale flier.

On the walthers Advanced search engine they have a little checkbox for stuff that is on sale. I use that to find the deals there, and to see if the deals are still in stock. I just bought some of the Talgo equipment, where a six car set used to cost $125, they had it on sale for $53. I bought enough equipment to make a 11 car set for $130. Along with my Kato F40, I'm going to make a model of a pre-Cascades style Talgo train.

Now that is cool, I use that page allot and I've never noticed that, thanks again! These 2 bay cars will go nicely with my recently acquired 8x P2K 4427 hoppers, even if they're made to carry different materials.

I usually search eBay for bulk lots.

I never had much luck thinning acrylic paint with rubbing alcohol. I seem to have better luck with just plain water. I tried denatured alcohol too, but it seeked to attack the paint on the cars so I discontinued that experiment.

Bill, try thinning water base paints with windex. The chemicals in the windex all but kill any surface tension.

Back