Weathering with chalk sticks

Diesel Power

Anybody use these mostly or is airbrushing the only way to go. I've fooled around with the chalk before and actually had nice results. I've never had an airbrush before, nor have I ever used one. Are they difficult to master? Hobby Lobby has a few for something like $150.

You can get some air brushes for very little $$$, i'd get a cheap one and play around with it for a while on some scrap car's till your proficient, if you like it you can then get a decent one, just my point of view,,, this is what i'm going to do when the time comes

Chalks work nice. You can put them on dry, runny (thinned with alcohol to make a wash) or clumpy (mixed with liquid hairspray) to get many different results and textures. You can also easily mix and/or layer chalks to come up with custom colors and textures.

Airbrushing is nice for an overall look. I (personally) have not had much luck with using an airbrush for detail weathering, but I do use it to get an overall dirty or grimy look.

I'm sure almost everyone here will have a slightly different approach.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Everything is only a matter of trial & error & practice away. I use my airbrush more for basic coating though.

I've always been satisfied with chalk and Dull Cote, but then I don't consider myself a master of weathering.

Here's a few "chalk jobs".

114191761.jpg

124699876.jpg

126491548.jpg

I can always find a need for an airbrush, but my preferred method of weathering is with chalks using the methods dnhouston stated. One very nice and important fact about using chalk is it is forgiving...make a mistake...wipe it off.;)

Back