Weathering test with new airbrush.

Genetk44

Got a new Badger Sotar 20/20 airbrush on Friday. Unpacked it and did a quick weathering test on a couple of new Accurail boxcars with it. What an awesome airbrush!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 169
Nice job! Weathering, to me anyway, is always more effective when it's subtle. Those boxcars look good!

Yes well done.
Lets see now.............. I've got about 150 freights to have done............how about it

Gene, are you back in Montreal? if so, let me know and I'll drop by the club.

Yes well done.
Lets see now.............. I've got about 150 freights to have done............how about it

Gene, are you back in Montreal? if so, let me know and I'll drop by the club.

sure Lloyd...after I get all my stock weathered...about a year from now I should think;)

I am back but the club layout is being broken down to go to the Great British Trainshow in Brampton.....it probably won't be back up and running until the 3rd week of May.

First gravity feeder? Gravity feeders are really the best airbrushes to weather with. Which tips did you get?

First gravity feeder? Gravity feeders are really the best airbrushes to weather with. Which tips did you get?

No not at all, I've been using a Patriot 105 gravity feed for the past 3-4 years. The Sotar comes with 19mm Fine needle and tips.

Looks like you are going head first into weathering now. With a new airbrush and the pan pastels. I would suggest you start spending time looking at proto photos of train cars to help you learn best the way to weather. You have a great looking start and I found it best to look at the real thing to get an idea of how each car looks the same or different. Can't wait to see all your cars weathered and running on your layout.
Dave

Looks like you are going head first into weathering now. With a new airbrush and the pan pastels. I would suggest you start spending time looking at proto photos of train cars to help you learn best the way to weather. You have a great looking start and I found it best to look at the real thing to get an idea of how each car looks the same or different. Can't wait to see all your cars weathered and running on your layout.
Dave

Thanks.

I have always enjoyed weathering my models...I started doing it back in the 70's with armour and continued with my model railroad stuff. I started with pastels back in the 70's after reading an article by the great Shep Payne....never looked back. I've been using Bragdons powders for 15 years but decided to try the Pan Pastels after recently reading some great reviews about them..I like them. As airbrushes go...I was still using my 30 year old Badger 200 until 3-4 years ago when I switched to the Patriot 105 which I really love. The Sotar was totally an impulse purchase which has turned into my new favourite airbrush.

Dave

Since you asked...here are a few pics of some stuff I have weathered over the years, some more than others and some not at all yet.

IMG_4395.jpgIMG_4394.jpgIMG_4396.jpgIMG_4397.jpg

Back