Weathering steam engines...

wongsing

one of the gentlemen at my club has seen some of the locos and rolling stock that I have done and now would like to have me attempt to weather his
4-8-8-4 Big Boy! I'm pretty excited about taking on such a project and don't think it could be too much harder than any diesel, but there are not that many examples of weathered steam engines. Does anyone have any good pointers, and or pictures of weathered steam engines? such a beautiful loco deserves some, well, specifically placed dirt, smoke and grime. Any advice, pictures (especially!) or tips would be great! Thanks!

-Rich

Is that your work!!!? Wow! That Big Boy is EXACTLY...well, almost the way I think this guy wants it! He also has about 30 Trix PFE reefers to be done as well to be the "dream consist"! I plan on using lots of pastels...Different shades of grays it seems will give me exactly what I'm looking for.. Thanks for the help! Anyone else that cares to post any more locos feel free.. I really need to know where and how they weather the most! Thanks again guys!

-Rich

Bump- I'm following along because I want to learn how as well, I have a cab forward that I wouldn't mind weathering up soon.

Back