Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

I just saw something I have overlooked, you used short cut branches and push them in to look like cut down trees.
That is absolutely brilliant, I am SO copying that!
Guilty!

I use real branches as the tree fall and situate them all across the forest floor.

I also use real branches as tree trunks. There are 2 in the picture. On the layout I had around 2100 wire armature trees built over a 3-4 year period. I have around 250+ branches being used as additional tree trunks that are placed below the wire armatures leaf structure. They are set to disappear into the leaf structure. I had maybe 20 real branches used as tree trunks that I broke them off so it looks like a big wind snap the tree trunk.

It was something I tried because I had so many branches left after I built the pulp wood piles

I dried them in the oven at around 250f degrees placed on a cookie sheet for many hours

So,
I worked on this car a little more.

Did the other side with the light earth and hit the bottom with some grimy black.
I then hit both sides with a layer of Dullcote. To my Suprise the effect was not as diminished as I expected.
For a $3 Bachmann car I'm actually growing quite fond of this little 40-footer. I may throw conspicuity stripping from Smokebox graphics on this and run it around for a while.

Still figuring out rust streaks. They are eluding me. I tried turning the brush on its side like recommended.

On to the roof and ends.

What do you think?
E9F2350C-B186-4800-AFBC-2FB1781D237C.jpeg
6B4276F2-DF9A-4459-B420-B8C53E3CE9DA.jpeg

So,

Did the other side with the light earth and hit the bottom with some grimy black.
I then hit both sides with a layer of Dullcote. To my Suprise the effect was not as diminished as I expected.
For a $3 Bachmann car I'm actually growing quite fond of this little 40-footer. I may throw conspicuity stripping from Smokebox graphics on this and run it around for a while.

Still figuring out rust streaks. They are eluding me. I tried turning the brush on its side like recommended.

On to the roof and ends.

What do you think?
View attachment 165339View attachment 165340
Very nice job you've done on the car, you may well have found a new vocation for yourself.

So,

On to the roof and ends.

What do you think?
I really like the 2nd picture (without the rust streaks). The car side is very well weathered.

What are you using for rust?
B01EA2FC-A365-4DA0-8C96-91FA96A8B136.jpeg

If you look at this TBOX car, especially the door rods and hinges I just touched them with a white microbrush loaded with Vallejo Air burnt umber. I immediately used a damp brush and pulled that dot down down the rods. It really shows in person.

The rust to the left of the doors are basically done the same. High up under the door track I put a few dots of burnt umber and immediately with a flat damp brush pulled it down. I repeated a few times making sure the brush was damp.

Because Vallejo is Arcylic it will dry quickly. Make sure the brush is damp. If you want to dampen the panel before adding the rust dots that helps slow down the drying time and may make it easier

What are you using for rust?
These are the four products I've attempted streaking with.

I have tried with alcohol (both 70 and 91), and water both. Also just the drop and drag with no moisture. Is it possible I still have too much paint on the brush. I don't blot it before dragging.

I have never tried to wet the car. I will do that.

Or am I using the wrong products?

9041274E-4CAF-4E8D-828A-EA309263FB1F.jpeg

Tom I just reread your post again. Are you dropping the paint on and using a different wet brush to drag it?

Am I reading this right? If that's the case I'm using the same brush.
The white microbrush ( small tipped head) is just touched into the paint. I dab in along the paint reservoir edge to remove some.

I then touch the spot I want the rust. Then using another dry or very slightly dampen I quickly pull down on that spot.

I have 3 brushes.

Brush 1 isThe white Microbrush I use to apply the spot

Brush 2 is A dry to drag it down. When done dragging each dot I pull the brush through a dry paper towel. Never 2 dots without wiping on the paper towel

Brush 3 is a slightly damp brush to use if the dots are drying too fast. Cleaned after each time used.

In the example of Yellow TBOX 662166 that’s what I did

Maybe this picture will help. Just finished this with both sides taking maybe 15 minutes

Brown BNSF High Cube. Paint is Vallejo light rust.

Same white microbrush. Just touch the spot, drag with a dry brush straight down. Or use your finger tip!
C2B0F1A0-CFD1-4140-9A5A-69A99E3641C9.jpeg
753844AA-9CD7-4FF4-8BCF-CA43230BA26D.jpeg

Next on Sunday is a cleat coat 1st thing.

After that dries I will touch the same spots with burnt umber and drag down.

I will go get a picture of the brushes

Last edited:
Here are my brushes I use for dotting the rust. I dI’d not thin the Vallejo light rust or the burnt umbers on this car. I have never used the AIM/Monroe powders, I use Pan Pastels.

DF149B4D-EFD4-4782-932E-46CFC1A7EFD5.jpeg
8A0FC26D-3129-4FC7-8253-9A950B75FD7C.jpeg
These are my dragging brushes
49047A93-0C9B-4ED7-84D9-C5F5D526F3F2.jpeg
I will drag generally with the flat. Sometimes I will turn the brush on edge.

Mike, this is what works for me. I think you are doing great.

Take some thinner or Isopropyl Alcohol and remove your rust streaks. Just try again.

Don’t thin Vallejo with Isopropyl Alcohol. Either use Vallejo‘s thinner or just plain water. That’s from my experiences.

Did you add a thinner to the Monroe powder and create a sludge? If so remember very light pressure in the stroke. Or, if using the Vallejo you need to work fast, there is not much time to draw/drag down.

You will get it. It’s why u r practicing.

I hope others will chime in. I’m not sure my description of my process is very clear.

Here are my brushes I use for dotting the rust. I dI’d not thin the Vallejo light rust or the burnt umbers on this car. I have never used the AIM/Monroe powders, I use Pan Pastels.

View attachment 165360View attachment 165361These are my dragging brushes
View attachment 165362I will drag generally with the flat. Sometimes I will turn the brush on edge.

Mike, this is what works for me. I think you are doing great.

Take some thinner or Isopropyl Alcohol and remove your rust streaks. Just try again.

Don’t thin Vallejo with Isopropyl Alcohol. Either use Vallejo‘s thinner or just plain water. That’s from my experiences.

Did you add a thinner to the Monroe powder and create a sludge? If so remember very light pressure in the stroke. Or, if using the Vallejo you need to work fast, there is not much time to draw/drag down.

You will get it. It’s why u r practicing.

I hope others will chime in. I’m not sure my description of my process is very clear.
Tom,

That was a great explanation. I was using the same brush for the whole technique, I have a better understanding now, and will try it a different way now.

I didn't mix the powders with anything. I tried to just drag then in a downward motion. Being new to this I was just kind of seeing what I could do with the different products.

Tom,

That was a great explanation. I was using the same brush for the whole technique, I have a better understanding now, and will try it a different way now.

I didn't mix the powders with anything. I tried to just drag then in a downward motion. Being new to this I was just kind of seeing what I could do with the different products.
Not having worked with the Aim/Monroe powders I’m not sure if you need to mix them with anything for the streaking. Pan Pastels is a definite NO. I know some of AK Interactive‘s stuff (pigments) you can add thinner, IPA or I think even water. Stick to one method. You will get there

I thought you showed your micro brushes. Take the Monroe powders and touch the tip of the brush into the cap. Try streaking with that. It will be a thinner streak and blow the powder off instead of blending. Not sure that is a throw away idea. If I had some I’d try but…

So,

On to the roof and ends.

What do you think?
You did far better than when I first tried, I think the Toms have done an excellent thread that helps people get a quick start on the techniques, you’ll quickly find the more you practise the more you’ll get a feel for the techniques, and find which work well with your talents and paints.
I like the dirty look.

Joe, excellent job bringing them to where you want them. Please continue to post your progress

I just finished another batch of reefer canvas for graffiti cars. The ARMN/UP cars are a wonderful white that the graffiti artist/vandal sees as the nicest canvas on the rails. White is hard but also can be the most satisfying.

I try to fade the plastic sheen away 1st with a washing of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Then a spray of white thinned with the 99% IPA. I have used light gray thinned and I had often in the past used the Tamiya x21 based 100% out of the bottle and brushed chalky residue off with a brush.

lots of fun, thanks for joining us
Thanks Tom, modelling is on hold at the moment due to fitting a new kitchen at home, Im hoping to get some more work done on these cars towards the end of the week

Looks super Tom
You did far better than when I first tried, I think the Toms have done an excellent thread that helps people get a quick start on the techniques, you’ll quickly find the more you practise the more you’ll get a feel for the techniques, and find which work well with your talents and paints.
I like the dirty look.
Thank you both.

Back