Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Thank you very much! I've lived in the Northwest Suburbs all my life, near Arlington Heights. Saying Chicago is a bit of a lie as I could go for a walk and see farmland, where as it takes me well over an hour to reach down town by car or rail. Still, it's the closest city and most my friends live there. Still nice to see a local here!
Small world:

I spent a couple of years living in Carol Stream When I attended Tech school at UTI in Glendale Heights. I worked at the Sears Auto center at Woodfield Mall the entire time I attended school. So I'm very familiar with your area. I still live in Illinois. About an hour south of Rockford.

My Father-in-law loved going to the racetrack in Arlington. We would go there every year for his Birthday Memorial Day weekend., and then go to Bob Chinns in Wheeling for dinner.

How do you handle your trains after applying weathering with chalk?
I use Pan Pastels that if I handle the piece can leave finger prints. If the piece is to be sold I spray a Matt varnish. I have been using VMS’s flat clear and it’s much less aggressive then the Testors spray can dull cote. The dull cote in my experience just melts away the pan pastels. I have just started using Army Painters matt clear which is water based. It is even less aggressive than the VMS and on the few pieces I have done with Pan Pastels it works very well.

If it’s a personal model, once it’s on the layout I rarely touch it. I don’t spray a finishing clear on my own models
then.

The Monroe powders are definitely different then what I use

I really like the scratched decal side. Well done.

The other side I am torn about. I like it but the it looks like there is a dabbing effect from the sponge. Or the spotting from a “acid” rain shower. Maybe another application with the same color and turn the sponge differently from the previous application.

So you think the wash strength is good, and didn't need thinned? It was straight out of the bottle of pre-mix. When I diluted it down it barely showed on the second try.

I used the same sponge on the splotchy side, do you suppose I should have used a new one for each side. They're the triangular sponges for make-up that you buy in bulk.

You may be right that I dabbed. I know on the first side (scratched side) i careful pulled down, but don't know if i repeated the same process on the second side. I guess another lesson learned. Pay attention to your process!

So you think the wash strength is good, and didn't need thinned? It was straight out of the bottle of pre-mix. When I diluted it down it barely showed on the second try.

I used the same sponge on the splotchy side, do you suppose I should have used a new one for each side. They're the triangular sponges for make-up that you buy in bulk.

You may be right that I dabbed. I know on the first side (scratched side) i careful pulled down, but don't know if i repeated the same process on the second side. I guess another lesson learned. Pay attention to your process!
I only mentioned dabbing because the spotting seemed really consistent to me. I am a dabber!

I use sponges (the same one) repeatedly and they are also the bulk pack make-up ones.

Paying attention to the process. Easier said than done especially as you practice. That’s partly why I write it down.

I have some pre-mixed washes from Vallejo and AK Interactive. I did not thin them. Though I rarely use them now as I prefer my own mixes, I should use them up. I feel an experimental hopper or 5 coming up soon.

Small world:

I spent a couple of years living in Carol Stream When I attended Tech school at UTI in Glendale Heights. I worked at the Sears Auto center at Woodfield Mall the entire time I attended school. So I'm very familiar with your area. I still live in Illinois. About an hour south of Rockford.

My Father-in-law loved going to the racetrack in Arlington. We would go there every year for his Birthday Memorial Day weekend., and then go to Bob Chinns in Wheeling for dinner.
Wow, small world indeed! I used to go see the horses race all the time with my opah while he was still alive. Great memories!

An hour south of Rockford...That puts you fairly close to Rochelle, then, correct? I'm out there at the railroad park every once in awhile!

Wow, small world indeed! I used to go see the horses race all the time with my opah while he was still alive. Great memories!

An hour south of Rockford...That puts you fairly close to Rochelle, then, correct? I'm out there at the railroad park every once in awhile!
If you and Mike ever want to meet up at the Railroad Park in Rochelle let me know. 70 miles for me. About an 80 minute drive. Terry has had enough watching trains there with me but I still love the place

If you and Mike ever want to meet up at the Railroad Park in Rochelle let me know. 70 miles for me. About an 80 minute drive. Terry has had enough watching trains there with me but I still love the place

Maybe this summer when the weather gets nicer several of us could meet up to do some railfanning. There is the other Mike that lives very near there as well.

Finished 3 High Cube 60’ box cars
F5F1D601-F638-41E4-846B-652B32DBB864.jpeg
28F0C8DE-DE9F-4A92-9DD8-05A6C14F8C5F.jpeg
23EB6B6D-6AC3-4248-B782-C33355B960BC.jpeg

The plan was not to spend anytime today weathering…I accomplished that

So pictures of projects finished but not posted before.

Yes, a couple more ARMN reefers. These were purchased clean from me in December as the client didn’t want them weathered. After seeing on Facebook the lightly weathered reefers I did, he sent these back saying weather them. So I did…
11A1CCBB-DC1B-4125-848A-FE8666544A8A.jpeg

A couple diesels. The BNSF is now completed but not so in this picture. I generally do not test run client equipment. Client said please, so I will run it tomorrow

The CN is mine and I tried to take off the Microscale paint masking I used. Pulled off 2 windshield wipers. Yep, like I needed an excuse to hit the LHS
B6F85C31-82BB-4C4F-812B-F68AFA3E16AB.jpeg

Based on the ARMN and road number these trucks and wheelsets are for the above 2 cars. Yes, I painted the wheel faces after this picture was taken.
82662195-C3F7-42FE-85F3-56F618F824D9.jpeg
360EDD63-A617-4DE6-A0D0-23B30D93C3CB.jpeg

I really enjoyed weathering this Walthers Proto line series of a 30,600 gallon tank car. I would rank this just a touch behind Scaletrains Rivet Counter tank cars and definitely far ahead of any Genesis tank car. Over all a better value as it’s $5.00 less than the ST or Genesis pricing. There is a grime base of Tamiya earth tan on the car frame. Followed with Army Painters Matt clear, then Pan Pastels dark umber heavily anpplied around the center panel ladders. Then PP charcoal gray touched on the top of the car and blended lightly with the bigger poofy cosmetic brush.
9C98CB06-58B8-4C53-98D8-EEC3CEF2775F.jpeg

AD1A29FF-A9F0-4D64-A9F0-9ECB9BD014E3.jpeg
5BABABD2-EFCD-4E98-A14B-551F25203287.jpeg

The above 2 BNSF cars were heavily faded using VMS Matt clear varnish with 1 drop of Tamiya x-21 base added. Then a very light dusting of a brown grime mix. A edge spray of tan earth on the bottom sill. Some brush work using Vallejo Air burnt umber and light rust on the door hinges, locks and rods. Then another spray of VMS’s Matt clear. A slight rust mix across both roofs. These are the High Cube 60’ cars from Walthers Mainline series.

The plan was not to spend anytime today weathering…I accomplished that

So pictures of projects finished but not posted before.

Yes, a couple more ARMN reefers. These were purchased clean from me in December as the client didn’t want them weathered. After seeing on Facebook the lightly weathered reefers I did, he sent these back saying weather them. So I did…View attachment 165649
A couple diesels. The BNSF is now completed but not so in this picture. I generally do not test run client equipment. Client said please, so I will run it tomorrow

The CN is mine and I tried to take off the Microscale paint masking I used. Pulled off 2 windshield wipers. Yep, like I needed an excuse to hit the LHS
View attachment 165650

Based on the ARMN and road number these trucks and wheelsets are for the above 2 cars. Yes, I painted the wheel faces after this picture was taken.
View attachment 165651View attachment 165652
I really enjoyed weathering this Walthers Proto line series of a 30,600 gallon tank car. I would rank this just a touch behind Scaletrains Rivet Counter tank cars and definitely far ahead of any Genesis tank car. Over all a better value as it’s $5.00 less than the ST or Genesis pricing. There is a grime base of Tamiya earth tan on the car frame. Followed with Army Painters Matt clear, then Pan Pastels dark umber heavily anpplied around the center panel ladders. Then PP charcoal gray touched on the top of the car and blended lightly with the bigger poofy cosmetic brush.
View attachment 165653
View attachment 165654View attachment 165655
The above 2 BNSF cars were heavily faded using VMS Matt clear varnish with 1 drop of Tamiya x-21 base added. Then a very light dusting of a brown grime mix. A edge spray of tan earth on the bottom sill. Some brush work using Vallejo Air burnt umber and light rust on the door hinges, locks and rods. Then another spray of VMS’s Matt clear. A slight rust mix across both roofs. These are the High Cube 60’ cars from Walthers Mainline series.
The art of seriously improving the look with the minimum amount of Paint, that grimy slightly dusty look is something you can do in spades. it takes an excellent eye to do this if learning from scratch.
Plus the desire to help others to shortcut to such skills is generous.

It does help highlight the expertise you put into the goods you sell, and shows others how easy it is not lol. But for those willing to have a go, they have an excellent resource,and an interactive response as they learn. Total kudos to both Toms as they help others on their journey. plus even the best can learn from each other, so there is payback for your efforts.
Great work, long May it last.

The art of seriously improving the look with the minimum amount of Paint, that grimy slightly dusty look is something you can do in spades. it takes an excellent eye to do this if learning from scratch.
Plus the desire to help others to shortcut to such skills is generous.

It does help highlight the expertise you put into the goods you sell, and shows others how easy it is not lol. But for those willing to have a go, they have an excellent resource,and an interactive response as they learn. Total kudos to both Toms as they help others on their journey. plus even the best can learn from each other, so there is payback for your efforts.
Great work, long May it last.
JazA thanks for the kindness

As I mutter over the gondolas on how I'm going to weather them I started another project. I Got these GWS box cars when Genesis first came out. Starting out by fading the paint. Took a few tries on paper towel to get the fade color I want. I think it turned out pretty good. I have 2 cars so here's a before and after.
IMG_5969.jpg
IMG_5970.jpg

As I mutter over the gondolas on how I'm going to weather them I started another project. I Got these GWS box cars when Genesis first came out. Starting out by fading the paint. Took a few tries on paper towel to get the fade color I want. I think it turned out pretty good. I have 2 cars so here's a before and after.View attachment 165865View attachment 165866
Great fade

Hello fans of the weathered…

stuff on the bench
6FAFB95B-FB06-4560-B267-346C6C2B09D8.jpeg
79F56222-DD98-4456-B2B8-833E9EC572DE.jpeg

that is 6 Walthers Mainline series models of yellow TBOX cars. But only 5 different road numbers
D4A7E884-3ACA-47ED-9141-59B51B180DC2.jpeg

BNSF buffer car. While the road number is incorrect the rest of the data, graffiti pieces and tags are. A long way to go on this one
795FD9FC-36AC-4DAD-8169-1ACDCE3E4A5D.jpeg

These are a Kato articulated stack train unit.
8919FEFE-735E-44FD-BE34-06F0E2245923.jpeg

Genesis Acid car, thankfully the client loves it as he stopped by to check it out tonight. I didn’t like it. The car is very fragile, I didn’t like the pictures he had me to use and finally I didn’t like it, but he does and that’s what counts. The Proto picture showed the car very pitted. You can see around the tagged area it has that pitted type effect. I have 3 more of these to do. 1 is for me and 2 more that he dropped off. He said I can do his 2 however I want.
47661277-2626-439A-B795-FED4966A0DDD.jpeg
Some cars on the table next to the paint booth. These all will receive a clear coat. Either to start the weathering process or complete it

An interesting mix of models. 2 Rivet Counter white tank cars, an Athearn Genesis acid tank car, Bowser spline cars, Kato stack cars, Walthers Mainline TBOX cars

Last edited:

Back