Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

It’s almost 9AM and I am heading towards the bench. I should have uninterrupted peace and quiet till about 1. Just me, my vortex paint mixer, the airbrush and tunes playing.

These are all clear coated and were dry last night. Now it’s one at a time getting a base fade. Yes, there is a locomotive box in there. That will be shown on CambriaArea51’s locomotive Continous thread, not here
DD7F3480-2E49-44D4-B103-8A4958D902B9.jpeg
While I am not complaining, I really am. After 2 full years back at the weathering bench I am seeing the same cars over and over. I got a question on FB why I show the same car over and over. Responded back, I’m not. I then posted 4 pictures of the same side of each car pointing out the weathering differences. I am of the feeling our manufacturers should produce at least one car of each run without the car numbers but supply the decals.

I have now done 12 NATX tank cars per my records since Halloween. There are only 3 separate numbers put out there by Walthers. Yes they went to different modelers but it’s a lot of time and effort to remove the numbers and change to a different one, if you want a train load of these cars.I turned down a job of 24 NATX tank cars as I do not change decals numbers.

The Atlas Naked Juice reefer box shown in the picture above is one of 4 duplicates. 2 went to 2 other modelers, 1 is my test bed for decal and hand done graffiti. This one will be lightly weathered and would be available for tags, graffiti or as it will be…

Thanks for reading, I feel better….

I've been doing some toning down of weathered boxcars I picked up a few years ago. Most are fine for enhancing, but 3 of them weren't to my taste so I decided to try tame it.

This is what they looked like originally...

View attachment 164642

Using 99% IPA and a plentiful supply of cotton buds, along with patience, nice music and some fruit juice, I managed to get rid of the worst of the weathering...

View attachment 164643

I've pretty much wrecked the IC car (the other side is worse!), but I have suitable decals in stock to refinish this as a Rock Island example, which will be my first boxcar repaint.

The UP car I'm pleased with, Im going to weather it further

The white car I'm happiest with, and strangely was the hardest to do. I'll give it a very light weathering and call it done
Joe, excellent job bringing them to where you want them. Please continue to post your progress

I just finished another batch of reefer canvas for graffiti cars. The ARMN/UP cars are a wonderful white that the graffiti artist/vandal sees as the nicest canvas on the rails. White is hard but also can be the most satisfying.

I try to fade the plastic sheen away 1st with a washing of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Then a spray of white thinned with the 99% IPA. I have used light gray thinned and I had often in the past used the Tamiya x21 based 100% out of the bottle and brushed chalky residue off with a brush.

lots of fun, thanks for joining us

It’s almost 9AM and I am heading towards the bench. I should have uninterrupted peace and quiet till about 1. Just me, my vortex paint mixer, the airbrush and tunes playing.

These are all clear coated and were dry last night. Now it’s one at a time getting a base fade. Yes, there is a locomotive box in there. That will be shown on CambriaArea51’s locomotive Continous thread, not here
View attachment 164952While I am not complaining, I really am. After 2 full years back at the weathering bench I am seeing the same cars over and over. I got a question on FB why I show the same car over and over. Responded back, I’m not. I then posted 4 pictures of the same side of each car pointing out the weathering differences. I am of the feeling our manufacturers should produce at least one car of each run without the car numbers but supply the decals.

I have now done 12 NATX tank cars per my records since Halloween. There are only 3 separate numbers put out there by Walthers. Yes they went to different modelers but it’s a lot of time and effort to remove the numbers and change to a different one, if you want a train load of these cars.I turned down a job of 24 NATX tank cars as I do not change decals numbers.

The Atlas Naked Juice reefer box shown in the picture above is one of 4 duplicates. 2 went to 2 other modelers, 1 is my test bed for decal and hand done graffiti. This one will be lightly weathered and would be available for tags, graffiti or as it will be…

Thanks for reading, I feel better….
I agree it would be nice if you could get unnumbered cars and have the numbered decals seperately, but then someone would moan about them being unnumbered, so it's a no win situation.

And their argument will always be that currently, the printed ones on cars can be removed and using a number decal sheet a new number made, so it's left up to the modeller to decide

I agree it would be nice if you could get unnumbered cars and have the numbered decals seperately, but then someone would moan about them being unnumbered, so it's a no win situation.

And their argument will always be that currently, the printed ones on cars can be removed and using a number decal sheet a new number made, so it's left up to the modeller to decide
You are so right, it’s a no win

I take it that your compressor died half-way through or did you finish this one ?
Yep! Sorry I guess I posted the passing of Porter Cable in the diner this afternoon.

I was working on the roof and the compressor died. I do have an old Badger compressor that I was able to use. I got some splotches on the roof and that’s why I added the rust streaks. I am questioning if I should leave them or strip the roof

Yep! Sorry I guess I posted the passing of Porter Cable in the diner this afternoon.

I was working on the roof and the compressor died. I do have an old Badger compressor that I was able to use. I got some splotches on the roof and that’s why I added the rust streaks. I am questioning if I should leave them or strip the roof
I know your going to strip it, simply because it's not up to the extremely high standard you set yourself.

Back