Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Hello again fans of weathering. After being gone the last few weeks I did get back to the painting bench. I finished and shipped off the final 7 pulp cars.
E1E7349B-9CD3-46BA-AF63-C5D1EDFEA95B.jpeg
7819162E-C38D-4F81-B45F-65C06DB613B7.jpeg
137CEA75-ADE7-4C2E-91EC-D3FC3D716478.jpeg
BB9F4224-4663-46A4-B6A6-67241F28DB71.jpeg
CE48EC1D-6F0E-4CC0-B666-C6DB011A63E6.jpeg

DCA690DA-B80F-46A0-9715-AB34CD65CA18.jpeg
7C33CDCD-5FB2-47E6-81C0-346D5D63D2C0.jpeg

TomO

So being home and with nothing on the paint bench, that had to change. I picked these up in Independence, Mo. Opened the boxes
20A32404-A72A-4C41-99C4-80A24047FFAE.jpeg

77BDAD85-16FE-4B72-AAC2-4759E28F6378.jpeg
Time to weather them up.

Fade 1st
BF139CF7-E706-4B5D-9453-21D9C5BB53F9.jpeg
993AAE57-E692-4E18-A6D2-C7474F7177D8.jpeg

Tamiya X-21 flat base is used to help fade the cars. Brushed on full strength, let dry overnight and brushed off the following day.

Prototype photos for reference only, they are not a road map. The photos give me an idea!
EC756A42-D670-4FF3-988E-3F15DB2E3F82.jpeg
384D72AF-EE7E-4F4D-BEC2-2AE65456049B.jpeg
8F8BBA7E-5279-498E-A003-4053BE048DFB.jpeg

Vallejo Air hand brushed

449DAD86-9F36-46CA-8A42-7D635EC96DE0.jpeg
The above weathered car was photographed in the morning yesterday.

I forgot to take a picture as it looks now.

Before I start hopefully later today I will snap a current picture. The rust on the dump chutes will get fixed. It started off as over runs from the washes used on the side panels. I tried to wick it up with a brush (should have used a paper towel) then tried to brush it out. It kept getting worst until I walked away.

Happy Easter

TomO

On Facebook, I'm not on but my wife is. Is it a forum. I've heard of people selling but could never find pics of anything else.
Tom

I visit 2 sites on Facebook that are for weathering only. I am part of:

Weathered Trains Only Buy and Sell——about 1700 members, nice place to buy and sell but no discussions on how to’s. Some of the guys especially those that do Auto Racks with graffiti think their stuff is gold, IMO

I just joined

Detailing Tips & weathering Tricks for Model Railroaders

not sure about this group under 1000 members and seems kind of atta boy place. I look for honest constructive criticism and the tips and tricks are sort of lacking. I am hoping it will grow.

I did drop another group before we left for vacation and for the life of me I can’t remember the group name or find doing a FB search. Very strictly controlled by a guy who didn’t believe his works should be criticize.

TomO

It's good to see different ways of weathering, but I don't need my way or the highway type of people either.
Yes, so trueTom. Hobbies are supposed to be fun.

I have been looking at You Tube videos on weathering. The military modeler guys are very good and the ones I have been watching are very good in demonstrating and explaining the processes. I know Greg has been emailing me videos of guys he finds on You Tube. We seem to have the same GREAT taste in modelers there.

Doing searching on You tube is easy, like I typed in: how to weather a gondola. Received back a list of videos and some were excellent some were crap. Ithink I can tell in the 1st couple minutes if they will be helpful.

TomO

Ithink I can tell in the 1st couple minutes if they will be helpful.
Yep that's how it is with me. I've learned a lot watching videos one guy that is good is Dans railroad 2011. I don't do the graffiti but a lot of his techniques that don't use an airbrush are helpful. There's never one good way to do stuff but many ideas from different guys is good to learn.

Tom

I visit 2 sites on Facebook that are for weathering only. I am part of:

Weathered Trains Only Buy and Sell——about 1700 members, nice place to buy and sell but no discussions on how to’s. Some of the guys especially those that do Auto Racks with graffiti think their stuff is gold, IMO

I just joined

Detailing Tips & weathering Tricks for Model Railroaders

not sure about this group under 1000 members and seems kind of atta boy place. I look for honest constructive criticism and the tips and tricks are sort of lacking. I am hoping it will grow.

I did drop another group before we left for vacation and for the life of me I can’t remember the group name or find doing a FB search. Very strictly controlled by a guy who didn’t believe his works should be criticize.

TomO
I don’t have Facebook kinda glad I don’t. I’m glad we’re a good group here none of that goes on here that I know of. Seems we build each other up that’s why I like it here.

Yes, so trueTom. Hobbies are supposed to be fun.

I have been looking at You Tube videos on weathering. The military modeler guys are very good and the ones I have been watching are very good in demonstrating and explaining the processes. I know Greg has been emailing me videos of guys he finds on You Tube. We seem to have the same GREAT taste in modelers there.

Doing searching on You tube is easy, like I typed in: how to weather a gondola. Received back a list of videos and some were excellent some were crap. Ithink I can tell in the 1st couple minutes if they will be helpful.

TomO
Tom. I’ve been building Millitary Models and weathering them not for about 8 years now but never weathered Rolling stock. The Millitary guys are very helpful but you better have your ducks in a row when you get into there league that’s what I’ve found out there not Bashful about criticizing your work but it’s good criticism to help you be a better Model Builder. I was always nervous about doing winter camouflage here’s a Sherman tank I done last winter in 1/72 Scale.
2C69D9D2-54B9-4120-9165-48D33A3A2499.jpeg
30C6535A-000F-442F-B47C-9C6A36145C43.jpeg
BCFA8192-5486-4C15-B2FF-88CF5BC57573.jpeg

Here’s one of my second weathering Millitary subjects. I built this in 2015 View attachment 144647
Lee, beautiful models.

My favorite You Tube guys are in order:

Luke Towan

Boomer Dioramas

Dansrailroad

JC’s Riptrack

Panzermeister36
——-mainly a military modeler but once or twice a year weathers a piece of rolling stock, explains very well and his military stuff is awesome

Seaboard Central, Tim Garland is a professional locomotive engineer. His videos cover everything in model railroading and he has just a few weathering videos. Explains very well, does beautiful videos and had a great layout. He moved so is building a new layout

there are a few others but I do not subscribe to them

TomO

Lee, beautiful models.

My favorite You Tube guys are in order:

Luke Towan

Boomer Dioramas

Dansrailroad

JC’s Riptrack

Panzermeister36
——-mainly a military modeler but once or twice a year weathers a piece of rolling stock, explains very well and his military stuff is awesome

Seaboard Central, Tim Garland is a professional locomotive engineer. His videos cover everything in model railroading and he has just a few weathering videos. Explains very well, does beautiful videos and had a great layout. He moved so is building a new layout

there are a few others but I do not subscribe to them

TomO
Thanks Tom. I’ll have to check them out you can never stop learning how to weather. Thanks for sharing that

Back