Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

The biggest thing so far weathered is practicing on an old Athearn BB 86’ boxcar from the early 70’. That was a big canvas to work on, I can only imagine about O scale.

TomO
Yes Tom O is a big canvas I need to venture out of my comfort zone with these Flat Cars and try a Boxcar. You thread is really inspiring me to do that.

Lee, those are well done.

Love the trailers as they do bring back the memories. But, I am very impressed by the less is more weathering done on the flat car decks. Too often I find myself having to go back and strip down the weathering on the decks I have done. You have done enough to say, these are well used but not abused cars. Even with pictures to go from I still have the heavy hand, but getting better.

Thanks for sharing
TomO
Thanks Tom for the nice complement it’s a real confidence builder for me. I’ve always worried about doing it to much or to little I always start out light and build up to a stopping point then I put it on the layout and see how it blends in seems to work so far. I’ve been in the pulling Intermodal containers now for over 25 years I see lots of spline cars that have a Piggyback trailer on them and there not heavily weathered. I want to do a Sea Container some day now since you started this thread yesterday I started looking more closely at the containers I pull.

Thanks Tom for the nice complement it’s a real confidence builder for me. I’ve always worried about doing it to much or to little I always start out light and build up to a stopping point then I put it on the layout and see how it blends in seems to work so far. I’ve been in the pulling Intermodal containers now for over 25 years I see lots of spline cars that have a Piggyback trailer on them and there not heavily weathered. I want to do a Sea Container some day now since you started this thread yesterday I started looking more closely at the containers I pull.
Making you think, great!

TomO

I have received few pulp cars minus trucks, wheels and couplers from a Northeastern Wisconsin club. Turns out the 3 pulp cars I did for the FB friend went over great at his club. They gave me a list of the cars with reporting marks On Tuesday. I went online and found 5 of the numbers. They have approved the pictures as they would like those cars to appear. Free reign on the balance of the cars. This will be fun!

I had pulled my next batch of cars to weather off the layout.
AB1FD65A-FFDD-42E7-A4DA-6A73E2139EAF.jpeg

There is a Bulford transfer caboose, 3 BLMA before Atlas purchased them, one Atlas, a couple Accurail, 4 Scaletrains.com cars, 2 Intermountain that I really dislike, they roll terribly and it takes some work to fix IMO.

This will wait till we return

TomO

Looking forward to the weathering you are planning and performing on the transfer caboose. I think I have two maybe three of them one in C&NW and the others MILW.

Nice honor to weather the pulpwood cars from the Northeastern Wisconsin Model Railroad club. Be sure to show use your results on these cars as well.

Have fun!!!

Greg

I have received few pulp cars minus trucks, wheels and couplers from a Northeastern Wisconsin club. Turns out the 3 pulp cars I did for the FB friend went over great at his club. They gave me a list of the cars with reporting marks On Tuesday. I went online and found 5 of the numbers. They have approved the pictures as they would like those cars to appear. Free reign on the balance of the cars. This will be fun!

I had pulled my next batch of cars to weather off the layout.
View attachment 143178
There is a Bulford transfer caboose, 3 BLMA before Atlas purchased them, one Atlas, a couple Accurail, 4 Scaletrains.com cars, 2 Intermountain that I really dislike, they roll terribly and it takes some work to fix IMO.

This will wait till we return

TomO
Nice line up Tom.

This morning with this threads inspiration I was able to finish this project that’s been sitting since 2012. I used Powered pigments, Graphite pencil and one of my Daughters Makeup Brushes to complete this project. The Pencil was used for the cable and the Stirrups I find it’s great for anything that’s has a dull Metal look. The Cable I got from Don Mills years ago. I’ll get some pics of it later on the layout.
AABC6C5C-050C-48C6-BA94-51003299169F.jpeg
857D673F-EDA0-48DA-9F5B-432BDEE36185.jpeg
D57BD807-3E13-41B0-AAC2-EFBE98A28461.jpeg
E3CD9EDC-5E17-40A7-A46C-551CC260730D.jpeg
B48B3E32-24E0-4FA1-8B9A-414CB7C28518.jpeg
6492C7DF-DBEA-46CA-808C-B136746CC441.jpeg
3091B734-21BD-4CFD-9790-858E471EB5FB.jpeg
064DF3DA-FD21-464E-B431-977EF580F195.jpeg
FA1FCA3D-3ED8-4CAC-9984-D3782594473A.jpeg
5A64604D-5CCB-4909-AA65-CC7B361DA371.jpeg

Good finish. I would laugh about the 10 years between the start and finish but I know I have at least 2 projects that old.

I like the use of the pencils graphite in the tie down pocket. Makes it seem like the tie down chains have rubbed the paint from the pocket.

A thought! Maybe a touch of weathering on the blocking for the tires. They look too new IMO but Cat did spend money for transportation items, they may be new lumber. The deck is well done

TomO

I have a couple of them, added a couple of workers, one was holding a shovel that I cut out to make it look like he's holding a coffee. The other talking on the radioView attachment 143223View attachment 143224.
Tom. Before seeing Willie’s use of figures on his layout that he shows in the diner, I was not a fan of figures on the layout. I have since changed my mind and have started purchasing and placing a few in my paper mill complex. One thing WILLIE does is he places his figures into the scene. That is what you have done on a very nice transfer caboose. Those 2 guys look like they belong there, well done.
TomO

Tom. Before seeing Willie’s use of figures on his layout that he shows in the diner, I was not a fan of figures on the layout. I have since changed my mind and have started purchasing and placing a few in my paper mill complex. One thing WILLIE does is he places his figures into the scene. That is what you have done on a very nice transfer caboose. Those 2 guys look like they belong there, well done.
TomO
Thank you. I've done a few scenes with figures, but it's very hard to find workers with safety vest and hard hats that would fit into today's (or minus 15-20 year time frame) type of modeling. A lot of company's still put out figures that fit 50's to 70's time frame.

Thank you. I've done a few scenes with figures, but it's very hard to find workers with safety vest and hard hats that would fit into today's (or minus 15-20 year time frame) type of modeling. A lot of company's still put out figures that fit 50's to 70's time frame.
Tom

I agree about the figures still seemingly in the 70’s. Safety vests are another issue and my RR workers have them because I had to paint them on to fit the 2000’s. This is my first completely painted LP on the layout. Meet Maynard!
300A7EAC-A2E8-49F2-8E5A-BD0F7F198878.jpeg

A large package with pulp cars and a new Gp38-2 in CN arrived today. The locomotive is my payment to weather the 10 pulp cars.
F472B9FB-8323-4B8D-A31B-8969E12DCB14.jpeg
8F0767A0-8F78-4DE7-8E45-EB36541698A3.jpeg

I took the trucks and wheelsets off to clean and get them ready to paint. The white stuff on the trucks is the Tamiya base X21 paint I use after cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol. The base does fade the parts and also gives a bit of bite to the Derlin for the next weathering paints to be applied.

I have applied 1 coat of rust on the wheels, brushed and cleaned the trucks and have applied the 1st of 2 coats. A light color followed with a darker rust stippled on.

The trucks r next

TomO

Today I will clean out the wheel threads with Isopropyl Alcohol and a Q-tip. Put the wheelsets back together, apply a light application of Pan Pastels to the trucks and spray with Testors dull cote. I have 1.5 cans of dull cote left. The price has exploded and locally no one seems to carry it. I have been searching online for homemade flat mat finishes. Any suggestions?

Then more underbody paint. I had applied late yesterday a black/brown mix lightly underneath and today I will be adding the “road” actually rail grime. The last 3 cars I did for him I used a rust mix of Tamiya Hull Red and a touch of black. He loved it. But, he’s got me on the road grime! I have to make up a couple samples, let it dry and messenger some pictures over for his approval. While waiting for that I will start the rust process on the decking.

TomO

Tom: I like how you organize your work area. I need to try the method you use of a coat of Tamiya on the trucks to give the balance of the weathering coats some "Bite".

That GP-38 is a nice looking locomotive.

Greg

Tom: I like how you organize your work area. I need to try the method you use of a coat of Tamiya on the trucks to give the balance of the weathering coats some "Bite".

That GP-38 is a nice looking locomotive.

Greg
Greg, I am glad it looks organized. It works for me. The new paint booth should be installed while we are gone in April but 90% of the weathering I do is by brush anyway.

I am looking forward to putting sound into the gp38-2. I added the Scale Sound Systems speaker this morning while waiting for paint to dry. I will order a decoder while we are gone to arrive when I get home. I am debating between the ESU I have used and the Econami2 from Soundtraxx I have been thinking about trying

TomO

Back