Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

i have a question for all the weathering pros. iam following FOS Youtube channel, and some others. when it comes to weathering there is a technique or something what i dont know.

if a wash gets applyed to the surface, sometimes they are using something to "earease" some parts of the wash? Its i guess a liquid, but what liquid?

I hope you know what i mean and hopefully can help :)

cheers
If the medium being used is oils they most likely are using a mineral spirit type liquid to remove it. They are many types of mineral spirits available to the artist and painter community.

It’s a wipe on, wipe off type of activity. While they truly are not wiping off 100% of the medium they are leaving a slight film or coverage. Do it again to build up layers

i have a question for all the weathering pros. iam following FOS Youtube channel, and some others. when it comes to weathering there is a technique or something what i dont know.

if a wash gets applied to the surface, sometimes they are using something to "erase" some parts of the wash? Its i guess a liquid, but what liquid?

I hope you know what i mean and hopefully can help :)

cheers

If you are using oils like Tom mentioned , you can use mineral spirits to remove some of the wash to get certain effects.

If you do an acrylic paint wash and let that dry between coats... you can use Isopropyl alcohol to remove paints to get certain effects also.
You have to be cautious with the alcohol and take your time, start with a small area and work that till you get the hang of it. It will pretty well remove all that you added.

It is available in different strengths like 50%, 70% and 99% and is pretty well available anywhere.

Weathering things by adding and then removing stuff is just as effective as just adding.

Hope this helps you out man.

Z

got some stuff today (video coming thursday) :D

ak-stuff.jpg

let the weathering start :D

i never heard about "Abteilung502" but found it funny because of the german word. And i think FOS Scale Models talked about them in a video, so i just ordered some to try out :) everything in weathering is totally new to me. till now i only did some airbrushing for some models or buildings. so lets see where the ride will take me :)

Have to admit, Department502 sounds much better in German, wonder how they came up with the name.
that what i was also thinking. but i like the Name :D
Its like the RWB Porsches from this japan guy. he translated the name with google translate i guess. RWB stands for Rau Welt Begriff what does not even makes sense in german hahahaha

@Smudge617 according to google search "Abteilung 502" was a heavy Tank battalion in 2nd worldwar... so i guess they have the name from there. maybe because they produce "heavy" colors...

they also use the same logo as they had on the tanks back then. so its definitely the name from back in the days. why to choose a name like this i dont know. but it makes sense now when i look at the name, the logo and the style of the font...

i never heard about "Abteilung502" but found it funny because of the german word. And i think FOS Scale Models talked about them in a video, so i just ordered some to try out :) everything in weathering is totally new to me. till now i only did some airbrushing for some models or buildings. so lets see where the ride will take me :)
I have over the years seen some of FOS scale model videos on YouTube. He has a great video on putting graffiti on an urban setting retaining wall.

For actual techniques I do prefer others:

You Tube content providers

Boomer Diorama

dansrailroad2011

JC’s riptrack

There are many others but, those three are the creators I keep going back to

For oils especially, JC’s Riptrack to me is invaluable. He is who introduced me to the Abeitlung502 oils. He has stopped producing content and was veering away from Model Trains but he is still an excellent resource

I think you’ll find doing weathering on models, either trains, boats or planes is fairly similar. No matter the mediums used, the equipment (spray or hand brush) used to apply, it needs to be done in layers.

@Smudge617 according to google search "Abteilung 502" was a heavy Tank battalion in 2nd worldwar... so i guess they have the name from there. maybe because they produce "heavy" colors...

they also use the same logo as they had on the tanks back then. so its definitely the name from back in the days. why to choose a name like this i dont know. but it makes sense now when i look at the name, the logo and the style of the font...
Yes, they saw service on the Eastern front, and were part of the II SS Panzer division.

Back