Weathering Projects

Today, I finally got around to weathering one of my steam locomotives and freight cars. This is my first attempt at weathering. I used PanPastels. Let me know how I did.

Before:

IMG_20200810_163225.jpg

After:
IMG_20200810_163236.jpg

BLI CNJ 2-8-2 after weathering:
IMG_20200810_173001.jpg
IMG_20200810_173005.jpg

Just a suggestion on the NH box car's weathering. Use the sponge applicator and pull the powder from the top edge of the car downwards in a single stroke as if water moved the grime downwards. The same for the tender.

Weathering takes practice and you're beyond the first few steps in the learning process.

Greg

Just a suggestion on the NH box car's weathering. Use the sponge applicator and pull the powder from the top edge of the car downwards in a single stroke as if water moved the grime downwards. The same for the tender.

Weathering takes practice and you're beyond the first few steps in the learning process.

Greg
Well, thanks to Tony Koester's article called "Weather a locomotive with PanPastels in 7 minutes." in the book Detailing and Upgrading Steam Locomotives, I got a basic idea. There was also a diagram on weathering a 2-8-0 in that same article. Since a 2-8-2 is not much different, I thought the same techniques could apply.

Thank you for the feedback

Back