Weathering a Walthers ho scale truss bridge

Mara Plutoni, as you can see we are filled with advice unfortunately it seems like no one has a bridge to illustrate their techniques

These bridges were about 35 years old when these pictures were take by Bruce Oldenburg at his page Bruce’s Train Pictures on trainweb.org. These are in a rather harsh climate in North Central Wisconsin, USA.
84960E95-89DB-457C-83CA-F78AEFBB7FDB.jpeg
DB768621-0858-48F7-A18C-1DB086E7B6B2.jpeg
FF55B78D-F789-49D3-89BF-87E88209151E.jpeg

Best way to achieve rust?

Well, my way is layering. I use Vallejo Air burnt umber mixed with water. I take a wet brush with water and brush it on the surface to rust. Then I dip a different brush into the Burnt umber mix and blot it on and let it run down the surface. Let rest 10 minutes and do again. Repeat the process till you get the rust effect you want.

Another way is with oils. Dip the brush into the oil paint and dot it on the surfaces to rust. Then come back with a flat brush touched with just a bit of odorless spirits and brush through the oil dot creating the rust streaks. Easy to write then to do IMO.

Lots of good instructors on you tube if you want specific help there

have fun

Do you all have an air brush? Untill now I use paint and brushes. But I realise when you dry brush with powder you have to fixate this. Some people use cans. What are the - and +. Anybody done both and can compare methodes?
I've used both, the disadvantage of using a brush is that any weathering powders you apply will move, I usually varnish the paint first and then apply the powders, applying varnish on top but you have to use a very soft brush and an extremely soft touch.

Using a air brush is much simpler, after painting, apply a layer of varnish, then the weathering powder. varnish on top, but ensure your airbrush is at least 15cm away from the object, and apply several thin layers allowing the varnish to dry between applications.

If you don't have an airbrush you can buy it aerosol form from most decent hobby stores, or on the 'net.

Do you all have an air brush? Untill now I use paint and brushes. But I realise when you dry brush with powder you have to fixate this. Some people use cans. What are the - and +. Anybody done both and can compare methodes?
I use a airbrush for fading the paint on rolling stock and painting structures. I use Tamiya Arcylic in my air brush mixed with Isopropyl Alcohol. I now spray clear varnish, either matte or gloss from VMS via my air brush.

Most of my weathering is done with brushed on Arcylic from Vallejo mixed with water and applied as a wet wash. I also use Pan Pastels for weathering and I DO NOT use a fixative hold them to the model. I have tried chalks and powders and so far for me, I am not thrilled with them.

IMO, you don’t need an airbrush for weathering but it sometimes helps.

Most of my weathering is done with brushed on Arcylic from Vallejo mixed with water and applied as a wet wash. I also use Pan Pastels for weathering and I DO NOT use a fixative hold them to the model. I have tried chalks and powders and so far for me, I am not thrilled with them
I only use a fixative because I handle my stuff so much, if I had a layout where, once in place I would rarely touch them, then I would definately follow your method, your weathering, regardless of subject, is in my opinion, one of the best.

I own a decent airbrush but I also prefer hand work for weathering, airbrush is fine for pristine new look imo.
FF0C565D-8705-4F50-A698-33421AB9C211.jpeg
F5A9A0EF-8327-4176-90EE-D4E5E2F8A376.jpeg
DF6D7815-DB9E-47F7-A9C0-6BA546D80E71.jpeg
61CCC7BD-1370-49C7-9112-1CC808888F31.jpeg
30E2851C-133F-4FF1-AE3F-2A5D1FAF52C5.jpeg
47A472E0-8FB1-48C0-833B-ED3B6E1AE104.jpeg
7C581E14-E6A4-4F13-B1CA-3691DC174382.jpeg
C4E4DE30-36E4-4B2D-B5A9-961C954C359C.jpeg

I used a basic acrylic grey, then a basic acrylic orange brown wettting the paintbrush then dipping in the paint so the mix came out different thicknesses for once I did not go ott (over the top) I mixed the pack with the 30 thousand thickness white plastic in order to duplicate a real bridge. There is also a little green in the mix

Mara Plutoni, as you can see we are filled with advice unfortunately it seems like no one has a bridge to illustrate their techniques

These bridges were about 35 years old when these pictures were take by Bruce Oldenburg at his page Bruce’s Train Pictures on trainweb.org. These are in a rather harsh climate in North Central Wisconsin, USA.
View attachment 153409View attachment 153410View attachment 153411

Best way to achieve rust?

Well, my way is layering. I use Vallejo Air burnt umber mixed with water. I take a wet brush with water and brush it on the surface to rust. Then I dip a different brush into the Burnt umber mix and blot it on and let it run down the surface. Let rest 10 minutes and do again. Repeat the process till you get the rust effect you want.

Another way is with oils. Dip the brush into the oil paint and dot it on the surfaces to rust. Then come back with a flat brush touched with just a bit of odorless spirits and brush through the oil dot creating the rust streaks. Easy to write then to do IMO.

Lots of good instructors on you tube if you want specific help there

have fun
Nice reference which reminded me I had a matching bridge in an area. I don’t do much so forgot about it….

DOH!

Back