Weathering a Stewart VO-1000

Myowngod

Pennsy Tuscan Red Blood
This is a Stewart VO-1000 that I got off of eBay at a great deal. It had a very slight blemish on the shell from the packaging. But I'm one to never let an engine go unweathered, so I jumped onthe deal. I got it for a total of $31.50... that included shipping! Ye-haw!

Well, here's how I started to weather it.

This is a shot of the chasis and shell before anything is done.
View attachment 6958

This is one of just the shell.
View attachment 6959

And now after the first round of weathering. The first thing I did was hit it with some Testor's Dullcote to kill the shine. The I followed it up with a dusting of white chalk over the whole thing to generally "wear it down". Next I used brown chalk in a few place to represent rust.
View attachment 6960

more to follow...

Got some more of the engine done the other night. I installed the cab and most of the handrails. I found a few proto pix of the engine before I painted the railings, because it seams that some of the manufactures of the model paint the railings differently. I went with the most common way I found and the most used variation that Pennsy painted them.

Here's a side view.
View attachment 6984

And a couple 3/4 views.
View attachment 6985

View attachment 6986

A closer end cab view.
View attachment 6987

I need to finish the rest of the railings and then touch up some yellow paint... although I kinda like the look of the chipping paint. If anyone knows of a good site for prototype pix please let me know. It could help me and others in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back