Weather Attempt 5

Very Nice weathering. Can you give more details on your method of weathering? I had a look at your website and see you are using weathering powders along with water and alcohol and you mention Polly S paint as well... do you mix this all together? Who's weathering powders are you using? If you could give us some insight into your technique it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

So just wondering is your technique top secret? ;) I was hoping for a little tutorial on how you go about applying the textured rust look

Sorry bob_suruncle if I haven't reply to your question yet.

I'm quite busy right now (work etc..) so it will take a little while longer.
I browse the web when I can. Please bare with me a little longer and I will explain to the best of my abilities how I do it.

Cheerio

Ok, I found this on the "archives" , second page. Hopefully this will answered some questions. Its called the 5 minutes weathering jobby:)

Cheerio

edited for brevity

Here's another CN 40” Boxcar. I used polyscale paint dissolved in a mix of rubbing alcohol and/or water. I used a rag and a 1/2 inch paintbrush. it takes about 5-6 minutes per car. Detailing will take longer : applying various shades of rust on trucks, couplers etc..Apply the paint/water mix to the entire side of the boxcar. Wait about 3-4 minutes, then wipe the car with a clean rag. This is what you get:

200671201848_BOX1.jpg

20067120191_BOX2.jpg

20067218551_Box11.jpg

The longer you leave the paint on the car, the darker it will look. If you wait too long to remove it, and it looks bad, dip you rag in warm water and gently scrubb to remove the paint (since its water based). Don't forget to use "up and down" motion with the rag. Used the paintt brush (large) to gently & lightly drag the residual wet-paint down the side of the car. That's it

Thanks MLW.... that helps alot! I really like the textured affect of the paint and powder combination...this in concert with my airbrush should be fun and effective..

Never though of checking the archives..... sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
MLW,If I may offer..Overall your cars are highly believable..However,I believe 2 or 3 are over weathered..However,these cars should blend in quite well.:D
My observations is base on hours track side.

MLW,If I may offer..Overall your cars are highly believable..However,I believe 2 or 3 are over weathered..However,these cars should blend in quite well.:D
My observations is base on hours track side.
Check out the prototypes on page 5.;)

Brakie you are totaly right. Once I know what I'm doing, my weathering
should improve. In the meantime its all trial-and-error.

Brakie you are totaly right. Once I know what I'm doing, my weathering
should improve. In the meantime its all trial-and-error.

Well for a trial and error method you are doing a very good job and like I said the majority of your cars are believable.:D

I am trying my hand at light weathering on some old Tyco cars I picked up at a train show and once I get the hang of it I will try weathering one of my "regular"" cars.:D
I thought I would start with light weathering and work my way up as I learn.

Those "ratty" cars on page 5 is more of a exception then the rule and should be model at a bare minimum so they bend in with the more normally weathered cars..:D
Well, of course, and I think everyone understands this, Brakie. I was simply pointing out that NOTHING can be over weathered compared to that Soo Line on page 5. That thing is disgraceful. And it would look great on my railroad.:D

Well, of course, and I think everyone understands this, Brakie. I was simply pointing out that NOTHING can be over weathered compared to that Soo Line on page 5. That thing is disgraceful. And it would look great on my railroad.:D

I seen worst.:eek:

The reason I mention those are more the exception then the rule is because many modelers believe all modern cars look like that or all graffiti up.This as you know isn't true..I have seen trains with 1 or 2 cars that had graffiti.The rest look like this.
I did not due the weathering..I took these cars in trade.

Picture-007-2.jpg

Picture-002-7.jpg

Sometimes a fade comes after some of the gime work. As is the case here.

Lots of artist oil used in washing and drybrushing on this.

Heres a GT I did.
DSC00221-1.jpg

Here's anothere "attempt" at weathering a rust bucket. My experiment
starts on an old Athearn BB boxcar. Its a long way to go yet...

2007416133713_11.jpg

2007416133734_22.jpg

The prototype:

2007416133812_33.jpg

Like I said, its not even close to be done yet...

:)

Back