Weather Attempt 2

MLW

Here I go again!!

I spent 3 days on this on. Yes! I dropped it. Yes! The fine details are broken.
But I think I'm doing a bit better. I found that weathering a pale color car is waaaay easier then a dark one.

My $0.02

Opinions and feedback welcome

Thx

2006711204832_CYL1.jpg

2006711204934_CYL2.jpg

2006711205137_CYL3.jpg

I’ll try to explain. Keeping in mind I used to dabbed a rag in a bit of paint and applied it quickly in an up-and-down fashion on a car (like the CN 40” Boxcar) Works well for a quick and light weathering look.

Since I wanted something more “elaborate” I did the following trail-and-error method:

I mixed [chalk] powder with 50% water-rubbing alcohol solution to a mud texture. I used the paintbrush to spread it where need it (light coat) used a finger or rag to drag it down a bit. Used the water-alcohol solution in a fine mist to "spread it around" if required. Once dried dabbed the sponge in a small amount of "leather" paint (on a pallet) and start dabbing around the rust. Same thing with flat back. Again to get the right texture (mix of leather, flat black and D&RGW Bldg Brown –some of it won’t mix /water/oil based) If too much applied, removed with rag in a downward motion. I used the paintbrush to apply a very light coat of D&RGW Bldg Brown diluted (50% paint and 50% water-rubbing alcohol solution) in a downward motion. Let it dried, then repeat (it gets darker all the time) until satisfy. I used the rag to quickly dry the paint in an up-and-down motion when necessary.

This has work somewhat, at least on that car! I did pickup some tricks at the “weathered forum”

It is worth a visit

http://modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/index.php

Material I used:

*Fine paintbrush
*Rags
*Small sponges (like the back of those sanding square you get at H-D)

Water-soluble paint
*Grimly black
*Tarnish black
*SP grey
*Flat Black
*D&RGW Bldg Brown

Oil based paint:
*Leather
*Burnt Sierra

Powder (self-adhering)
*Rust color
*Yellow (dust) color

*Spray bottle with 50% rubbing alcohol and water mix

Same car as above but pics taken outside

Got this Atlas Cyl.Hopper (centerflow) on sale last year for $9.99.
It lacks fine details like IM etc..
but that's ok since I keep breaking them off!!
I'm heavy handed [manupilation] on my car
(except my loco of course)

Anyways, I just kept adding one light coat after another.
I think this one is ok, so I won't touch it for a while.
I kept the original car# but added my ficticious freelance reporting mark on it
(Still need to clear that up a bit)

Please feel free to comment

Sorry for the blurry image. I'll try again later

2006712141618_Atlasrust1.jpg

Thanks a bunch MLW for the technique. To my eyes, it's very good work for anyone to do...experienced or not.

MLW said:
Here I go again!!

I spent 3 days on this on. Yes! I dropped it. Yes! The fine details are broken.
But I think I'm doing a bit better. I found that weathering a pale color car is waaaay easier then a dark one.

My $0.02

Opinions and feedback welcome

Thx

Opinions, huh? OK, you're ugly and yo' momma dresses yo' funni':p:eek:

Howzat?:D

Actually that is a very good rendering of rust, which is hard to do convincingly. You have done very, very well, my friend. Keep it up!:)

Back