We need cabooses badly

J Long

I think we need more caboose styles and roadnames for N scale. The current selection is too limited and we often settle for dated models that we modify to current standards.

So true. I've found most people notice the head-end and tail-end of a passing train the most, so it makes sense to invest more in the engines and cabooses. Not to mention that these are the most obvious ways to capture the feel of a particular prototype.

I'm personally lobbying for some unique Western Pacific/Sacto Northern cabooses in N scale.
www.modelrail.us/id36.html

It's a shame, manufacturers do really obscure stuff in HO but aren't willing to make the same invesment in more broadly used prorotypes for N scale. (For example, no readily available quality N scale S1/3 or S2/4 -- but they build an HO RS-27 that sold something like 50 in the real world).

Granted that the N scale market is smaller, but there are so many items missing that would certainly sell well -- better cabooses being one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live near Green Bay and around 15 years ago, a train buddy and I went nuts chasing one of the last remaining RS-27's, a GBW, on its highballs to Black Creek with a cam corder. The reviews of the new HO LifeLike model in MR and RMC rushed back some good memories.

I have felt the same about the caboose for a long time. I build them and sell them on ebay and have found a market for cabooses that come close to the host RR's 'crummys'.
000_1431.jpg

000_1432.jpg

000_1452.jpg

000_1467.jpg

000_1325.jpg

I think your best bet would be complaining to a resin company or one of the laser cut wood ones, as they'd be more interested in small runs...

Eye for detail

these are N scale....a few more that I've attempted

000_1351.jpg

000_1428.jpg

000_1302.jpg

Hi there,

Just had to say how impressed I was at viewing your pictures on the caboose. You really have an eye for detail and certainly the patience to undertake such delicate work.

Keep up the good work and many thanks for showing the pics.:)

Back