We need a decent HO E7 Atlantic!!

People of the internet... oh who am I kidding, the 5 people who are going to see this. There is such a big demand for an E7 Atlantic in HO. If you aren't in the northeast US, don't go poo-pooing the idea, but this is such a popular prototype for the steam guys of the northeast. We only have the old IHC model, and that's great, but ehhhhhh? I'd love to see it from BLI, because that's where a majority of the "A" grade steam comes from nowadays (except for Rapido, but I wouldn't count on it to be from them... they are full of intricate projects right now, aaaaaand they do mostly Canadian).

I actually had to look up what type of engine you're looking for. Those would have been too small to run out here on the prairies, it it appears that PRR had them double headed in most cases, but they are a very interesting little engine!

Thanks for making me look it up!

They're out there but YOU WILL PAY! Mwaaaahahahaha! (twirls mustache).

Of an E-6 will do, there's always this model:

Unfortunately there's just not enough demand for these to justify a plastic model. I've run into similar issues with SP stuff. Some models just can't be had other than in brass.

I believe Model Die Casting offered a 4-4-2 Atlantic years ago. I've done a little searching on the web, and e-bay is showing a kit for a 4-4-2 Atlantic for $149.95. Look for roundhouse mdc steam locomotives. Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but they appear to be pretty scarce. Good luck!

Last edited:
The Roundhouse kit is a Harriman Atlantic. Not correct for a Pennsylvania RR model. Wrong firebox, wrong tender. I’m assuming the OP is wanting a prototypically correct model. There’s nothing wrong with stand ins. I still use them myself in a pinch!

I believe Model Die Casting offered a 4-4-2 Atlantic years ago. I've done a little searching on the web, but have been unable to locate one. :(
The Roundhouse kit is a Harriman Atlantic. Not correct for a Pennsylvania RR model. Wrong firebox, wrong tender. I’m assuming the OP is wanting a prototypically correct model. There’s nothing wrong with stand ins. I still use them myself in a pinch!
E7s are not that common but E6s are every where. Most people want E6s because 460 is an E6 .

The MDC has the correct boiler (belpaire) and tender. MDC produced both a Harriman and a Pennsy, detail wise it is based on 460 .

I have one that I got in January , $45 kit. The MDCs show up from time to time on ebay.

, Bowsers are common as dirt....here have 5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowser-PRR...707486?hash=item2175d35f1e:g:SxcAAOSwIftfS-81

and Bowser still has stock on parts .

I think Mantua may have produced one as well.
If one were to be produced by BLI it would cost as much or more than a good used brass , I suspect the price point would be $400-$500 list.

The cheapest best is going to be a Gem / Westside or a (newer) Sunset , You should be able to get one for >$200. You just have to be careful about what you buy and how much you pay.

Brass is the least expensive way to go on steam , I have purchased 7 this year and have yet to pay over $200 , 2 were thru dealers ( Brasstrains.com and alleghenyscale.com ) and some have never been run. Articulated and Duplex run another $100. Key and Challenger are expensive.

And I would rather have brass than BLI .

I didn’t realize Roundhouse made a Pennsy version. You might also look for an old Bowser kit too. I believe they did an Atlantic. Both of the Atlantic kits on e-bay now are Harriman versions, not Pennsy models. I agree. Brass is the way to go here. Vintage models are very affordable right now. They’ll still be running long after the Broadway stuff is in the dumpster and they’re not hard to work on. I got myself an SP 0-6-0 and a UP 4-8-4 for less than $300 for both earlier this year. It’s a buyers market. Later models are still expensive but you can get close to what you want with a vintage model!

Back