Way off Topic: What the heck is a Blog?

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I keep hearing about Blogging. I used to be pretty savy about the Internet; lectured about it on the academic circuit in the Ninties. But I guess I took a nap and things changed.

What the heck is blogging anywho?

Chip, it a weB LOG(caps mine), basically a personal journal or diary type thing kept on the web.

Attaboy said:
Chip, it a weB LOG(caps mine), basically a personal journal or diary type thing kept on the web.

And why would such a thing be so popular--except to the person logging it? Who reads other people's blogs?

Is there an example of a good one?

Never quite understood who would read them myself. Journalists, politicians, business people, etc. keep them a lot. But for the average person, who cares? The only one I know of and read ocassionally is Greta Van Susteren's blog on foxnews.com.

Blogs are popular because folks think it's a person's public diary. They put down their thoughts on some subject, and if it's of interest to readers, it'll be read.

Kennedy

The only few that I've looked at were also on the Fox website, and maybe a few others. What they seem to me to be is the results of the owner's browsing on the Net. Full of links to sites they refer to. "Today this (link) is what I'm talking about, and what do you think of (link). Later I found (link) that led me to (link), etc., etc." Maybe they aren't all like that, but that is my impression.

I see Yahoo and other major providers are allowing web space for personal blogs, but I still don't have a handle on what they are, and if I were to do one what I would include. Seems like a lot of work to me, or an open diary that anyone can read. Can't imagine it myself!

Guys! You're missing the boat here! I know a railfan who has a blog site for trains. Basically records what he sees on each railfan trip, while posting photos and videos.

I wish I had a link to it handy.

Personally I don't see how blogging differs from the regular website.

Blogs differ from a normal website in that they are designed to be easier to maintain and update.

It's meant to be a journal, a show-off site (with room for comments, normally) instead of an advertisement or catalog.

I use a blog to post photos to show to a few people. The main difference between a blog and a website are that a blog is free, and it's easy and quick to add info and photos. Sure it doesn't have many features, but it suits my purpose very well.

For an example, here's mine: http://gp80mac.blogspot.com/

Nothing real fancy or special.

Well it seems to me it's when someone has nothing to talk about so they want to tell someone else, who has little interest, but just curious enough to read it in case. Something like reading this post I guess :D

13.gif
Willis

gp80mac said:
I use a blog to post photos to show to a few people. The main difference between a blog and a website are that a blog is free, and it's easy and quick to add info and photos. Sure it doesn't have many features, but it suits my purpose very well.

Nothing real fancy or special.
Nice little site!

I like the first shot....holy superelevation!! It looks like I could walk up to it and tip it over:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by gp80mac

Nothing real fancy or special
Hey Tom, that's not a blog, that is quite interesting ( could have posted it here for more appreciation) :D Ah! well you could post a link when you update it.

13.gif
Willis

gp80mac said:
The main difference between a blog and a website are that a blog is free, and it's easy and quick to add info and photos...

Oh, you mean like on ModelRailroadForums.com?

gp80mac said:
The main difference between a blog and a website are that a blog is free, and it's easy and quick to add info and photos. Sure it doesn't have many features, but it suits my purpose very well.
http://www.trainweb.org/
does the same thing, it's free and pretty easy in my opinion. Then again I learned to play with HTML 4 years ago.:p

I think I'll stick with HTML for now. Blogs are great if you're starting out online I guess, but HTML is the good old way.

Odd saying that, as HTML isn't that old either!

modelbob said:
Oh, you mean like on ModelRailroadForums.com?

Perhaps....but that blog is my own little personal space. Besides, these are pictures of big choo-choos. I don't have little choo-choos set up. (yet!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Russian said:
http://www.trainweb.org/
does the same thing, it's free and pretty easy in my opinion. Then again I learned to play with HTML 4 years ago.:p

I think I'll stick with HTML for now. Blogs are great if you're starting out online I guess, but HTML is the good old way.

Odd saying that, as HTML isn't that old either!

Quote that, HTML is ANCIENT in the terms of website design, yet still needed. Try out doem DHTML & XHTML ;-)

> that blog is my own little personal space.

I can understand that part.

> Besides, these are pictures of big choo-choos.

Are you aware of the prototype photos section of the modelrailroadforums.com photo gallery?

You can also try our sister forum, RailroadForums.com if you like. We've got a really active forum there, as well as a small photo gallery. (It only has about 20,000 photos in it, but it's still growing...;))

Back