Waterline Tugboats

JimmyG

Where can I find HO waterline tugboat kits? :confused: I saw a "Army" style HO tug once but I don't remember where. I want one for my layout.

The Walthers tugboat is an authentic "railroad tug", and it's interesting and attractive, but for HO scale it's pretty big, over a foot long. The one from Frenchmanriver is only a bit more than 6 inches (scale 45 ft). I think for most model harbors it would be a better fit.

I used the Linberg tug kit for my club's layout. I waterlined it myself, using a table saw and belt sander
Finishedtug.png

Model Expo in Hollywood, fl. has 25% off everything in their catalogs right now & they carry a complete line of wood model boats. Check out their web site & if you order anything from them use the code "TK9". Watch out for extreme shipping costs.

CNR Glen, can you measure that tug for me when you go to your club? It looks pretty big. I see it's 1:82 scale. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunety the club folded this past fall and the tug was sold off to another modeller. I have scratchbuit a lake tug on my layout:
Tugandpier1.jpg

Jimmy,
There are a few out there, as an old tug Capt I have two on my layout.
This one painted in my old co's colors is a Walther's..nice kit, I bought it when it was first issued and cheaper.
Tugboatpictures010.jpg

and this one from Seaport model works..great kit also not cheap.
TugExeter008.jpg

TugExeter014.png

The Lindberg kit is a little off scale but works in HO IMO, there is an excellant article on kit-bashing one in the Nov 2009 issue of RMC, guy did a fantastic job.

The Model Expo wooden kit for the #9 Diesal tug is an Army boat, I had one halway built years ago but lost it in a house fire.

Hope this helps,
Dick

Thianks for the info and photos.

Thanks, Cap'n. :) I just retired from the Army National Guard (29 years) and finally have a little more time to work on my layout, that is, when my wife doesn't find things for me to work on. ;) I hope to put a tug on my '50s era layout that borders on the Mississisppi.

Back