WATER, WATER, everywhere

beiland

WATER, WATER, everywhere

Well not exactly,....depends on your plan.
I need a water surface in 4 different spots on my layout plan. Over time I have read of a number of approaches, and many of them get quite involved to make themselves look very realistic. Many of these processes utilize some form of poured epoxies. I don't require that sort of detail, nor do I think I want to get involved with poring those epoxies in my locations.

I'm looking for examples of using plexiglas sheeting, either textured or smooth with added surface texture. I'd like to see some links to photos of a variety of applications??

BTW, my four applications are;
1) tip of my peninsula where the carfloat and piling supported pier reside.

2) underneath the swinging double track bridge on my lower deck crossing of the entranceway.

3) possible replacement of the water surface on the harbor scene of my estate piece.

4) logging pond on my upper deck saw mill scene.

Maybe you should look at JIM O'CONNELL's thread where he made a dock scene. I may be wrong, but seems to me that he "painted" his water and with wonderful results.
That's the 'Building the Pennicle Creek RR". Please ignore my spelling - too early!
MERRY CHRISTMAS to you!

sure plexi works, paint dark blue or grey underneath to simulate depth ... but it's still just plexi, and it's pretty easy to tell ..
if you want to make a kindof 'toy train' layout go for it , just don't be too disappointed in the results ..

I tried to find some of his examples, but the subject thread was SO LONG, I couldn't find one I was interested in in short order. So I sent him a private email to see if he experimented with plexiglass water.

Last edited:
You can put down some flat hardboard or sheet styrene, paint it properly, and then paint over the paint with a layer of Mod Podge 'Gloss Medium' from Wally's. Planar, baby's butt smooth, water doesn't exist except perhaps in a glass tumbler...someplace. Natural, outdoors, water has ripples at the very least. Without some kind of detail, it will look fake. Remember, everything visible, even a fake water surface, is a model.

This epoxy, glass smooth, has a single layer of gel gloss medium over it, stippled with the side of the disposable foam applicator.

index.php

Brian - the pages and posts of HOExplorer on his larger "water" feature are as follows:
page 4 post 72
page 5 post 94, 98
page 6 post 103, 115, 119
page 7 post 129
have fun!

I need a water surface in 4 different spots on my layout plan. Over time I have read of a number of approaches, and many of them get quite involved to make themselves look very realistic. Many of these processes utilize some form of poured epoxies. I don't require that sort of detail, nor do I think I want to get involved with poring those epoxies in my locations.
Glass painted on the underside was a staple form of water for model railroads for many years. I've never done that. I am firmly in the poured epoxy camp.

Back