Wanted Chessie System HO SD40-'s

BNSF4723

Yes I am looking for some HO Chessie System SD40-'s.Where can I buy some from like on websites.Sorry have not been here been super busy.

Josh then maybe you can help me with this question. Im trying to model NYSW's 2 SD40-2's. They were both former Southern/NW high hood units. The Southern unit was a SD40-2 and the NW was a SD40. Both were completely rebuilt from the trucks up to low hood SD40-2's. But im trying to figure out if they are 81 or 88 inch nose's.

Steve, the 3022, a former NS SD-40, appears to have a standard 81 inch nose. I can't find a decent picture of the 3018, the one "real" SD40-2, but it also had an 81 inch high hood in Southern/NS service. It seems likely that it would be rebuilt with the same nose length but you'd have to get out there with a tape measure to tell for sure.

That's it, HP. I don't know why I always forget about RRPics. There's one with the 3022 and 3018 together and they both have identical 81 inch noses.

i didn't even see that there was a second page here. For some reason in this pic, 3022 looks to have a bigger nose. Or it could be the angle of the pic that makes it seem that way. But either way if they are 81'' that saves me i think $20 on mb kleins site. I'll pick 2 up and strip them asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, it's an optical illusion. The 3022 was originally an SD-40, which has a frame that's three feet and change shorter than the SD40-2. I'm reasononably certain that they didn't change the frame out when they made this ersatz SD40-2, just the mechanicals. The SD-40 has a shorter front porch than the SD40-2 so the same length of nose will look different compared to the handrail stanchions. As far as I know, the length of the nose is measured on the top surface, from the front of the cab to the point on the end of the nose.

Back