Walther's trainline

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Out of all the HO loco's available, where do you think the Trainline from Walther's fits in the lineup, in terms of quality and running characteristics?
Cheers Willis

As far as "quality" manufacturers (athearn, kato, p2k, atlas,etc) go, I put them near the bottom. Trainline engines are about the same as athearn rtr as far as detail and running go. In my experience, the painting is very heavy on trainline, so I would advise an undec model.
That's my 2 cents at least

More like Athearn Blue Box, actually. I have only one Trainline loco, but that loco happened to be the easiest DCC decoder install I've ever done. Plenty of space, not a whole lot under the shell, room to tape a decoder out of the way....

Kennedy

I placed them in the 1970s era of Athearn blue box stuff. Good for then, but not now.

I have one, a GP9 I purchased ages ago, and it's still in the origional box downstairs, haven't put it on the rails yet. I was thinking to strip it add details and decorate it for a Rail Link model. I haven't taken the shell off it yet so I was wondering if it was worth the trouble to fine tune.
Cheers Willis

I have a Trainline GP7, paints OK, limited detail. The only thing I like about this engine is it will run through mud. When any of my better engines won't run on dirty track this one pulls right on through! :cool:

When any of my better engines won't run on dirty track this one pulls right on through!
Now that is interesting, do you have any idea of why? I guess I'd better get mine out of the box and on the rails to see if it even runs. LOL it's about 12 years since I bought it still new in the box.
Cheers Willis

Back