Walthers Trainline GP9M?

Zephyr

Rocket Red
I have been reading a book on Rock Island in the early diesel era and that got me to thinking: it might be cool to model a GP7 or GP9 with a chop nose, which could survive into the modern day and be used for switching purposes. I looked around for a model and found a cheapie:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/931-128

But before I take the plunge, does anyone know anything about Walthers Trainline GP9M locomotives, or about Walthers Trainline in general? I had a B40-8W that I bought about 10 years ago but was not too impressed with it. But I figure that if I buy this, I would add a ton of details it could look really nice. My main concern is how easy it would be to add DCC?

I did a little searching and found a Walthers Trainline GP9M that someone detailed, and it turned out fairly nice:
http://www.railroadforum.com/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=9650&FORUM_ID=14

dscf0092pu2.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased one 3 years ago for my son in a set. Now it does some switching duties with an installed digitraxx decoder. I have yet to get around to detailing it and such. Not real heavy haulers good for moderate switching duties and stuff. I do not run it in a consist at all.

By the way that is nice work on that WC model, very nice who ever did it sure did a bang up job on it!

Thanks Josh and Alcomotive! I thought about going with the P2K and chopping it myself; the thing holding me back is the complexity of that kind of project and the fact that I probably don't want to spend too much money on a little switcher. But I am always up for a challenge and the detail parts would run a little high anyway.

Alcomotive - how hard was it to install a digitraxx decoder? Could you use a plug decoder (like an 8-pin DH163P), or was there more to it?

Complex, if you buy the Walther's you'll still want to get rid of the fugly single window, so you're back to where you started. The Nose chop is easy, adding the windows and number boards semi-complex, that would be the toughest.

I kind of like the single window - it's a little kitschy but that would make it unique among my other yard power. I was thinking the windows and numberboards would be the hardest if I went with the option of chopping the nose myself.

My main consideration at this point is how easy would it be to install a digitraxx decoder in the Walthers Trainline engine?

I have a 9M in ARR. Was my first DCC conversion. It was the easiest conversion I've ever done. There's very little weight inside so there's plenty of space.

I used a DH121, the motor was already isolated, I taped it under the rear weight, which is just a bar between the back of the motor and the rear chassis.

The only add-on was to change the light bulb to a 12v model. I think it took 15min, if that. It was as simple and straighforward you could possibly get.

Kennedy

Thanks for your help, Kennedy! That gives me more confidence, so I am going to go ahead with the project. Stay tuned for photos of my GP9!

Yep DH121 is the one I used as well. There is plenty of room. I actually added 3 ounces of weight in the unit as well for more tractive effort. I will try and post a pic tonight when I get home....

Walthers GP-9m

The Walthers GP-9m is a widebody ala Athearn GP-7. The two I have run quite well and pull good. I have pulled a twenty car train with one of them. They run fairly quiet. I replaced the funky oversize handrails with Athearn GP-9 sets which improved the appearance. Couplers were changed to Kadee's.
I like the big windshield as well. Adding some details and painting it Rock Blue would give you an interesting locomotive.

Thanks, Mr. SP! That is a good idea to replace the handrails with better ones; I will look into that. I am actually thinking of painting it in my modern Rock Lobster (red-black-white) scheme.

Alcomotive, I look forward to seeing you photos!

I have been reading a book on Rock Island in the early diesel era and that got me to thinking: it might be cool to model a GP7 or GP9 with a chop nose, which could survive into the modern day and be used for switching purposes. I looked around for a model and found a cheapie:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/931-128

But before I take the plunge, does anyone know anything about Walthers Trainline GP9M locomotives, or about Walthers Trainline in general? I had a B40-8W that I bought about 10 years ago but was not too impressed with it. But I figure that if I buy this, I would add a ton of details it could look really nice. My main concern is how easy it would be to add DCC?

I did a little searching and found a Walthers Trainline GP9M that someone detailed, and it turned out fairly nice:
http://www.railroadforum.com/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=9650&FORUM_ID=14

dscf0092pu2.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hey!!! That's my engine!!!

I was the one that kitbashed and detailed that 9M. It didn't go to bad for a Walthers model. The engine is very quiet but as someone else had said, not a real heavy puller. I added some weight to it which helped out a lot. When I bought the engine though is was just planned for local and switching duties.
Overall I am happy with the engine for what you pay for it.

Also, thanks Alcomotive for the compliment!!

Thanks Ken! I have most of the detail parts purchased but I am still puzzled at the single windshield - how did you transform yours to a double? I just received mine in the amil and am looking forward to getting started on this project!!!

Hello again Zeyphr,

As for the real Rock Island, they had 2 chop noses on the railroad. GP-7 #1275 was one, it still survives as Iowa Interstate #400. The other was GP-9 #1321. Both were chopped and given new cabs & noses at Silvis, but from EMD. At the time of their rebuilding because of wreck damage, EMD was producing GP-20's. Thats where the slanted noses came from. The 1275 was rebuilt, repainted & renumbered to 4424 before the end. It was also named John W. Barringer III. As for the 1321, it remained that way until sold off in 1981. Also, one last thing, the 1275 & 1321 did not have dynamic brakes. So you'll have to remove the blister on the top of the hood(that is if you want to) Sorry for being all about accuracy. But thats me....
Best of luck to you!!

Thanks for the info, Joe! Do you know of any photos of 1275 (4424) in its new paint? I read that 1321 was sold off to Kaskaskia Regional Port District - do you know if it is still around? I am thinking of using 1321 as my "prototype" for my GP9. I have been thinking about the dynamic brakes and I might leave them on because my modern Rock Island might need them for some of the steep grades in the west, just in case it gets taken out of the yard.

Hello Zephyr,

I'm sure a search of the internet should get you some photos of the 4424 in the blue paint scheme. In the book Rock Island Color Pictoral Volume #3 from Four Ways West(publisher), there are pics of the 4424 in blue. Sometimes, you can get the book on eBay reasonable. BTW, I forgot to tell you that the 1275(4424) and the 1321 ended up with one piece windshields. So now you do not have to split the windshield in your rebuilding effort. I also do not know if the 1321 is still alive, wish I had an answer for you. Best of luck!!

Thanks again for your help, Joe! That is good news about the single windshield, so I might just stick with that since it would be much simpler. I found some photos of the IAIS 400 and will be on the lookout for 4424.

Anyway, I just started this project last night, so hopefully I will have it done in a few weeks. Now I just need that decal sheet set that Microscale is out of!

Thanks Ken! I have most of the detail parts purchased but I am still puzzled at the single windshield - how did you transform yours to a double? I just received mine in the amil and am looking forward to getting started on this project!!!

That's just a piece of styrene cut to fit.

Back