Walthers switch machines

Bigboy57

Anyone using the switch machines from Walthers? I have installed a bunch and I am using the fascia push button controls. I have had several (4) which have quit working dependably. Some require multiple pushes of the button. Some will require power cycling to get them to work and some have quit working totally. I’m curious if other users are having these problems.

Can you post pictures of the switch machines? I'm not sure if I have some or not. I have a number of twin-coil machines that have a throw lever that oscillates one way or the other, with a metal bar in the middle of the assembly.

This is one of the switch machines I have replaced.
FC5084A3-C1A1-4B6A-B749-6E9AF8F47742.jpeg

Hmmm... nothing with which I have the slightest familiarity. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will offer some troubleshooting ideas.
Meantime...
Happy, Healthy and Safe Holidays!

A buddy is installing these on his layout right now, I’ll mention this to him and see how his do.
hope we figure this out!

A buddy is installing these on his layout right now, I’ll mention this to him and see how his do.
hope we figure this out!
Rico,
If your buddy hasn’t started installation yet, I would recommend switching brands. These seem great at first but have some real design flaws. They are very sensitive to the slightest electrical fluctuation and will randomly throw if that happens. I initially had a lot of problems with my old Rivarossi locos but finally discovered a drop of conductive oil on the brushes of the 3 pole motors will prevent issues. Also, be sure your control wires are not contacting any power wires or feeders as this will also cause inadvertent throws.
The horizontal versions cannot be adjusted for throw distance after they are mounted without removing from the table. This could be my problem as you tend to error on the side of more throw to prevent remounting.
I have twenty four of these on my layout and have had five failures in about a year. Not a very good longevity rate. My layout is about 60%complete now and replacing the switch machines with the same thing isn’t too bad but changing to a different manufacturer and a different mount would be extremely difficult in some locations.

Yikes!
Not the greatest percentage for failures… I’ll see how far along he is.
I use the tried and true Tortois machines, so far so good but they do take up more space under the framing.

Yikes!
Not the greatest percentage for failures… I’ll see how far along he is.
I use the tried and true Tortois machines, so far so good but they do take up more space under the framing.
I wish I had gone the tortoise route and I may on some replacements, but I have several where a manufacturer change would be a real nightmare.

I for one vote for the Tortoise switch machines by Circuitron since I have installed over 30+ of these fine machines on my CM&N Railroad. I have not experienced one failure of the machine nor encountered any problems other than where the sub-roadbed is too narrow to properly mount the one machine.

I use a wall wart that has selective voltage outputs and I use six volts to power the machine to throw at all slow, prototypical speed.

I know a lot of manufactures offer different types of switch machines from solenoid to stall motors, but the Tortoise rank at the top of my list.

Greg

Yes, I hear ya. I wish I had gone that way. I had another failure a couple days ago, but this was different as something mechanically went wrong in the servo. The other failures seemed to be electronic. All of my machines (24) are running of the Walthers power supples and distribution boards. I have not connected to my Digitrax 210+ as of yet.

Last edited:
Try contacting Walthers with your concerns and history of failures and see what they could do to help the situation. Sometimes manufactures have production runs where there are latent product defects that render the products useless.

Greg

I have done just that but haven’t gotten any response. I am guessing the holidays may be causing the delay.

Back