Walthers SD45 command problems

mikeknuckey

Far away in Chile...
Hello Friends!
I just bought a Walthers SD45 UP31, and I am testing it with a NCE Power Cab control, but I cant make the strobe light works, same for main light dimmer; only works on long hood mode.
And as I understand ditch lights should flash when I sound the horn, but they dont work too.
Do you know which command will activate those lights?
I've been looking for information but cant find anything even on reviews.
Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Proto model I'm assuming? With Tsunami sound/DCC? Do all of the lights work? Head light with the head light button, Ditch lights F5, Strobe F6. I have a similar loco in MRL paint and I'll have a look, but I know from the Athearn DDA40X I had that there are not enough outputs on the early Tsunami board used in these to have both strobe and ditch flashing. UP doesn't prototypically use flashing ditch lights so they are wired in this case to come on with the headlight. I'll go and have a look, see what mine does (no strobe fitted though).

OK, with my SD45, F5 turns the ditch lights on and off, F7 dims and brightens the headlight, which looking at the picture of that loco on Google images is on the cab roof front, which is good. They at least should be reasonably bright. On the nose is lousy. You won't notice much difference between bright and dim because they're bulbs, not LED's.

Now, if your ditch lights come on/off with the headlight, that's because the strobe on the top of the cabin, if lit, uses both F5 and F6 to make it flash and does so constantly once turned on, try F5 first and if that doesn't start it, then F6. one or the other should do it. You wont be able to make the ditch lights flash at all, being wired to the headlight.

I use the NCE Pro Cab, so those F buttons are the same. I'll be interested to know how good the sound is on yours, in particular the volume. Mine's terrible, barely hear the horn and the prime mover isn't great either.

This is a video I've made yesterday, so you can compare the sound in your loco. I still cant make work strobe and the other lights.

[video=facebook_share;10155386054458802]https://www.facebook.com/mike.knuckey/videos/10155386054458802/[/video]

The sound on yours is much better than mine, even with the volume CV value, for the prime mover almost at max. Might do a default reset and start over with the adjustments. Sometimes the best way to fix things.
Did you notice if the ditch lights came on when you pressed the 5 button? They're not what you'd call bright, so if you're not looking directly at them, they're easy to miss. If they do come on, then that means the strobe is not lit at all.

I noticed the numberboards came on with the headlight, so they are both served by a single bulb, via a plastic light pipe, which if like the Proto GP 60's I've got, extends right back to their bulb, mounted probably on the weight.

Back