Walthers Medusa Cement?

nwdrummer379

Class of '11
I've been looking for a way to increase hopper traffic on my layout. So I've been thinking about getting that kit but does anyone think it would be too large for a 4x8 scene? My LHS has about 8 of these in stock and I'd like to get some opinions or reveiws on the kit before I decide to buy it when I head down there this week. Thanks fellas -Jeff

I would think that it may dominate the scene. It is rather large, at least in height. A minimum of two spurs would be needed, one for full loads and one for empties. I have one on my layout, as well as a myriad of other industries, and it works out fine. My layout is a bit larger, however.

One thing you could do is to build a module featuring the plant. I started my layout this way. The module, at first, was an operating diorama, until I had enough modules to assemble the beginnings of my layout.

I was sure to use NMRA suggested practices and rules to build the modules. Having a guideline as such insured that everything would fit together when it came time to fit everything together.

Another neat thing about building modules/dioramas, you will NEVER get bored with your layout. You can change the scene by simply changing out a module or two.

bob

It looks like I'll just go with plan B then. I don't want to sacrifice almost half of my already limited space to add another spur. Now for the grain elevator idea!

How about a feed mill? They don't take up anywhere near the space of a grain elevator and the larger mills used 5-10 covered hoppers a week of various feeds and grains. They alos did a booming retail business so you can have some farm traffic, with pickups and small grain trucks delivering feed to local farms. I have the Walthers Sunrise feed mill and find it's about perfect for a smaller layout. This is my version fo the feed mill, with the rail spur to the rear and retail end facing the street.

FeedMillMedium.jpg

I was thinking about using the rix products elevator with a couple of silos since I could configure them a little to adjust to the available space. Would that work out?

How about a feed mill? They don't take up anywhere near the space of a grain elevator and the larger mills used 5-10 covered hoppers a week of various feeds and grains. They alos did a booming retail business so you can have some farm traffic, with pickups and small grain trucks delivering feed to local farms. I have the Walthers Sunrise feed mill and find it's about perfect for a smaller layout. This is my version fo the feed mill, with the rail spur to the rear and retail end facing the street.

FeedMillMedium.jpg

Al, how did you make that farmers market sign/banner and get the letters to have that stretched out look like that? Sorry to hijack the post.

Funny I was just looking at that kit 20 min ago during lunch break. $36 at LHS
I was thinking of making a working diorama for my covered hoppers.
Good feedback here.
I'm still negotiating for the garage space for a semi-dogbone layout.
So looking at what are best plastic kits? so far I like Walthers Cornerstone kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the large kits can be re-arranged to fit whatever space is available. I took the Fuel Distributor and used the buildings in the 2 separate businesses. Look at any kit as a single version of many possibilities.

Personally I don't think of Medusa as all that large, granted it is tall but the footprint isn't very big at all. The backside can be against a backdrop and the track there just 'assumed' or deleted in deference to truck traffic as outgoing instead of rail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, I made the sign in MS Word using Word Art. Go to Help in the program and you'll find information on how to use Word Art.

Back