Walthers HO Track Questions

Mixed Freight

Hello Folks,

Being in N-scale for the past few decades, and also getting more involved with 3-rail O-gauge in the last 5~10 years, I haven't paid much attention to HO scale like I did back in the 70's and 80's. Some, but not much.

A good friend has been dropping off a few HO scale locos once a month or so for me to work on. Last time he was here, he also left me with the latest Walthers Flyer to look at, which I finally did a few night's ago. Kinda' surprised me , but I see that Walthers has a pretty nice selection of HO scale regular turnouts, curved turnouts, wye turnouts, a double crossover, bridge tack, flex track, and some other track-related odds & ends. Some available in code 100, but all available in code 83. A guy could build a whole layout with this stuff. :p😁

I didn't realize they offered this much track under their brand name. How long have they had this complete line? Looks like it should pretty be good quality. Is it? How does it compare to Atlas track? Anything else you can tell me about it? 🤔

Just curious for now, fill me in with your thoughts, your experience, and your knowledge. Let me know. Thanks! :)👍

Paul. Walthers has had their own brand for a few years now. They had a previously Walthers branded line of track made by Shinorna of Japan but Mr. Shinorna up and retired on them and from previous info the molds for the line needed a complete re-do or he wouldn’t sell, whatever… So they completely started over in China.

I have some of the code 83 flex and it is very nice. I purchased 12 strips of flex but none of the other track work. I have used a couple pieces and it is easier to use than the Micro Engineering flex that I have used in the past. ME is very inflexible without much agony and work. The new Walthers flex track is stiffer IMO then Atlas but very easy to work with.

If they truly have stock in the rest of the track work, it would make a very nice system.

have fun

I have some of the Walthers Shinohara curved turnouts, and some of their new curved and regular turnouts and must say that I like them very much. Even though I am not super thrilled about buying items made in China, these trackwork pieces do seem to be quite solid and good quality. I used Microengineering flex throughout so I can't speak to the flex.

Back