Walthers HO All Door Thrall Boxcars

AirbrushNo5

I weathered these with dilute overspray of Tamiya White, followed by W+N oils with Turpenoid as the thinning agent, and a Tamiya mix of paints for a grimy colour…
AF3FC5D6-1077-4348-A89F-3F233798CA55.jpeg

Nice looking job.
I have a number of these cars i will need to do eventually. I always liked the reliefs in the side details.

I think i recall seeing a place where someone had modeled one of these with the doors opened for loading.

This looks superb!

Can you explain your method on this car? I have this one and different numbered one. I have an issue doing orange cars and I have these 2 and a orange Tangent covered hopper to do and I have hit a block!
Hi,
Dilute Tamiya White overspray fade
Winsor & Newton Raw Umber / Van Dyck Brown wash
Custom Tamiya grime mix airbrushed
Sealed with clear flat
That’s basically it

Hi,
Dilute Tamiya White overspray fade
Winsor & Newton Raw Umber / Van Dyck Brown wash
Custom Tamiya grime mix airbrushed
Sealed with clear flat
That’s basically it
Love it. Since I have two I can experiment and then compare. Sometime before bed last night I put another coat of Tamiya base x-21 on the car. In the next few days I will finish what I started with my methods and then the other car your way. I have the oil colors you use but mine are the Abteilung 502 oils

Thanks

no weathering powders.. I have AK and Ammo pigments…really haven’t used them except on tanks…

stuck in a rut right now, haven’t been able to do anything.. just can’t seem to fit modelling into any day..

https://atlasrescueforum.proboards.com/thread/7340/talk-thrall-door-cars-links?page=1

I always thought the All Door cars were neat. It seems to be a type of car that disappeared REALLY quick. I imagine the implementation of the centerbeam really did them in. Seems like they were essentially all but gone by the early 1980's short of a handful. Here is the page for them from the 1970 Car & Loco Cyclopedia.

46192264705_37da377bcd_b.jpg

It seems Walthers has 3 "generations" of All Door. The original Walthers, the upgraded Walthers with the nicer ladders, and the former Life Like car, which the dead giveaway for those is the pegs on the side that hold the floor in. I have seen all 3 versions in the same box, so be careful before you buy them. The upgraded Walthers version is now a Proto line car if I recall.

PS: Also this http://www.trainweb.org/mccloudrails/Equipment/AllDoorBoxcars.html

Last edited:
Actually they were not gone. If you look at railcarphotos.com there are 78 pictures of these cars. 40 of the photos were taken after 2005.

I have 2 on my layout of the WalthersProto line and they look and roll great. Those 2 additions to the fleet are why I had to move my transload facility. I model 2005

I love these cars! I discovered them earlier this past spring and never really paid attention to them before then. I have several sets of the 1st run of the Walthers 2-pak and the single pak. I also have 4 of the proto lines as well. I have been looking to get a few more of these but not at 50 bucks! They're expensive but now and then you can get lucky and find them in groups on FB Market place. I recently picked up 2 more of these cars....US Plywood and Ashley Drew & Northern.

Thank you for sharing your weathering techniques! Awesome work! Very settle and it looks fantastic!

Back