Walthers DCC Turntable Err 1

Tiddles

Walthers 130 DCC Turntable PROBLEM. I got this second hand and it did work briefly on DCC. But now all I get is Err1 on the control box. I have tried it on DC and DCC but same problem. I have tested the motor directly and it works ok. I am told that Err1 means no connection between the bridge disk connection and pit brushes but I have checked and cleaned all the contacts. If I connect a DC controller to the two outer ring halves there is power to the bridge track. I have tried to directly connect to the other rings to see if the motor will operate but nothing. The contacts have been cleaned so I suspect a fault with either the control unit or the PCB in the bridge.

I found those little arms to be very fussy when it came to maintaining good contact.

I had so much trouble I gave up on the design and re-did all of the electronics and used a proper slip ring instead.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1196

After cutting off the flange the body of the part is darn near the exact diameter of the bridge "shaft".

See the attached picture. Ignore all of the replacement electronics. Just notice the slip ring part glued to the bottom the the existing bridge "shaft".

You could keep the current electronics and fit this part without too much work.

Frederick

Attachments

• Bridge Electronics.JPG
    Bridge Electronics.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 397
Could this PCB be the problem??

There was a strange squeak for everything gave up.

Motor still runs when powered separate buy putting power direct to the motor contacts
TT PCB.jpg

Hi,

Possibly but no obvious problem is visible. Capacitors (the cylindrical thing) can make a noise when they fail caused by gas escaping but there is usually clear deformation of the case.

The problem with the contacts on the ring was not a question of being clean enough but rather they were not all pressing on the rings at the same time due to the contacts being a little bent.

There is no easy way to test that board.

Frederick

Strange squeak could have been purely mechanical, as in a slipping gear. If the gear doesn't rotate with the shaft upon which it is mounted, there might be a squeak. Parts that could stand lubes can squeak.

On another forum, a person stated that they had contacted Walters who admitted that one version of their DCC turntable is a problem child and that they have since redesigned it. Have no idea if it is true.

This is the official word from Walthers:

Greetings,

Sorry to hear about the issue with the turntable. The Err1 message is an
issue that can happen with that release of turntables. If all of the
contacts are clean that means it can be a problem with the PC board in the
control box. Unfortunately we don't have the parts available any longer to
service that release of turntables. I wish I had better news.

Thank You

Keith S.
Product Support and Service
Wm. K. Walthers, Inc

That stinks that they don't have a better answer! I like Jerry's idea to convert it. I realize that the indexing is pretty cool, but with a decent speed you can line things up manually pretty easily. Add a bit of a taper to the turntable rails, to allow a bit of tolerance for the alignment. Basically, just knock the corner off the turntable rails and the approach rails, instead have a short wedge shape.

im going to have to do something like this with the 130 after I get back up in running now that im in tennesse

Back