Walthers Cornerstone Chain Link Fence Kit - Some Questions

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Last January as I was contemplating buying this Walthers fencing kit from the ModelTrainStuff.com website, I glanced at the single review somebody had left about it - 3 stars out of five, with the cryptic comment: "As close to scratch building as it gets." That didn't faze me too much since I've done a fair amount of scratchbuilding on my own over the past 20+ years. So I went ahead and bought two of them, estimating that should provide enough material for my scenery goals.

When I opened one of the kit boxes on Wednesday night, it became clear what the phantom reviewer was talking about. The only parts in this kit that were molded were the posts and the gate frames; the chainlink mesh was a 12x7-inch sheet of material resembling the tulle used on ballet tutu's, and a few dozen pieces of soft black metal wire - each slightly over 8 inches in length. So I'll be needing to cut the mesh myself into 1"-wide strips, and cement the metal wires to the styrene poles and the vinyl mesh onto the metal wires. [I could in theory go to my LHS and get some K&S brass wire for the poles and use that instead. But the hobby shops in my state are all closed due to the COVD19 lockdown, so I'll just have a go at it with what I've already got...]

WKW_FencingKitPiecesWithJig.jpg

My first question is: What type of CA glue have any of you used for attaching two different kinds of plastic to metal? I'll need to go with the slower-setting syrupy stuff to have time for it to set. Many of the online reviews I've read say the syrup never hardens unless you press the pieces tightly together. Obviously that's NOT an option for this particular application. Hopefully there's a brand that does work effectively without pressure...[?]

Last edited:
Do the instructions not recommend a glue type?
I wonder if you could use that Bondic ultra-violet light crap. I have used it successfully for photo-etch applications.

Ken - I once purchased one of these fencing kits also. I don't think that it was well thought out either. It's all in a Ziploc bag in a box under the layout now. For me, it is easier to just use tulle and some .017" wire that I got somewhere. Using CA glue is frustrating and I have started experimenting with the UV stuff; which for me works better.

Do the instructions not recommend a glue type?
I wonder if you could use that Bondic ultra-violet light crap. I have used it successfully for photo-etch applications.
Guy, the instructions just say to use a "CA-type adhesive" without going into any detail, other than to say I should use the slower-setting stuff so I can have time to make adjustments. Wanted to try some of the UV stuff, but my Home Depot store didn't have it (details in my reply to Willie below).

Last edited:
Ken - I once purchased one of these fencing kits also. I don't think that it was well thought out either. It's all in a Ziploc bag in a box under the layout now. For me, it is easier to just use tulle and some .017" wire that I got somewhere. Using CA glue is frustrating and I have started experimenting with the UV stuff; which for me works better.
Willie, I read your reply during lunch and dashed over to my LHD (local Home Depot) to get some of their version of UV-activated CA. Their website said they had 4 of them in stock at this store; got there, and there were none! I probably should've remembered the old adage to "never trust what you read on the internet."😒

Guess I'll see if I have any JB Weld left in my toolbox, then maybe try experimenting with that...

Back