Walthers Comet Cab II, NJ Transit detailing help

As I recall, the bell goes right behind the engineer's compartment, under the floor. I think it used to be partially hidden by a bracket sort of thing.

custom build one. Only good part out there was made by sunrise enterprises but they don't make HO parts anymore.

Don't know if your could find some sort of SP style light that might be good for the Mars or 'warning light.' F45 has done a lot of NJ models, so I respect his knowledge, but I haven't looked at the Walther's catalog in a while(or an older one). Sometimes detail parts sit on a shelf for years.

i'll see if i can take a measurement. The sunrise nose light is not 100% accurate as the prototype. I dont know if i've ever seen any measurements of the real nose light.

OK I had some time to get some rough measurements for the nose light and here is what I came up with. I would suggest some styrene strip or tube and aluminum tube.

i-dbVFB98.jpg

I would use Evergreen #253 .188" styrene tube and sand it down to the .165" required.

Then use Evergreen #252 .125" tube as it will slip into the other tube for the smaller box.

Make a styrene cover for the end of the 252 tube and drill a hole for a .108" Dia tube using either Styrene or Aluminum Tubing.

I know I would mill the parts to the correct size as I am picky when it comes to making parts but you can use most of the parts as is with little work.

I went off these pics

i-zmCB4mK.jpg

i-9wx2JgH-XL.jpg

i-VDbdrR8-XL.jpg

i-2NcR5sb.jpg

i-dPPRcG4-XL.jpg

As built, I seem to recall that the 'warning light,' had a slight 'bowed out' (convex) shape to it, not flat like the Metro North unit appears-not that it matters, except if you're a trve knitpicker.

So I've gotten all the suggested pieces in. I was wondering, what do you use to get such fine measurements in point inches? I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself, and I would like to get as close to your suggested measures as I can.

Thanks!

So I've gotten all the suggested pieces in. I was wondering, what do you use to get such fine measurements in point inches? I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself, and I would like to get as close to your suggested measures as I can.

Thanks!

I use a vernier caliper as you can see in this pic.

DSC09174-XL.jpg

I was able to find a caliper, just waiting for it to come in the mail.

On a side note, I've been working on the comet cab car, and have some pictures.

This is what it looks like so far.

pinterest.com/pin/130956301637195083/

I've been primarily focused on the crappy Walthers trucks. I found a guy who suggested to take brass piping and glue it into the plastic holdings for the axle. I did a few, here is a shot of one of them.

pinterest.com/pin/130956301637195098/

The post I found talks about the Amfleet cars, but if you notice, the trucks are exactly the same. This guy's tutorial has great photos and instructions to do the job.

geekhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/walthers-amfleet-truck-modification/

Only difference for me was I kept the brass piping a solid piece, instead of cutting the pieces into bushings. I feel, for now, that works well.

I'm getting a TCS lights only decoder and keep alive for it. I will post pictures when I get it installed.

DCC lights only decoder and keep alive taped down on the inside of the comet cab car.

pinterest.com/pin/130956301637235953/

Drilled small holes through the weight and the frame to connect to the track pickups, then soldered the wires right to the metal pickups of the trucks. (Make sure the trucks are setup right, so they pick up each side of the track.)

Next steps are to hook up LEDs and fiber into the holes drilled through the end of the cab, test the DCC decoder and then wire it up.

There is a lot of room inside the cab car to install the DCC decoder, which makes the install fairly easy.

Back