Walthers Comet Cab II, NJ Transit detailing help

Island model works sells NJ Transit decals for the Comets, but they do not have the stripes due to licensing expiring.
Scroll down to decals and click on comet numbers.
http://islandmodelworks.com/Comets.html

And Microscale will have pretty much everything including the logo and disco stripe with the large black band for around the windows.
NJT Decals

As for the horn, Details West makes a Nathan K5LA "all forward" horn that will be as good as you can get. The red marker lights, i'de imagine just drill out the holes for leds, same for the overhead headlights. The ditch lights you can use the round part from a detail associates ditch light set and just recess it into the body. Now what are you going to do about those springy contraptions that are on the front of the car that are under the windows? Bell you can use any under frame bell i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information!

Are these the air horn, ditch lights, and bell that you mentioned?
Air Horn:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-DETAILS-...503956?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item23144de294

Ditch Lights:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detail-Asso...542488?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item5aebb4aa58

Bell:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detail-Asso...382900?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item35baed55f4

Do you have a preferred vendor for leds and resistors? I plan on using a DCC decoder but not sure what type I need.

The engine that will be pushing the cab car is an Atlas NJT U34CH which has a Soundtraxx GE FDL-16 decoder.
http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/originals/e1/4f/91/e14f91caa981d25e490c68eb2a9f08fa.jpg

Not sure what to do about the "springy contraptions". I will keep looking, and let you know if I find anything.

No for the horn and no for the ditch lights (unless they are upside down inthe package) and yes to the bell.

As for leds and resistors, electronics are not my cup of tea. If you want leds installed and sound decoder for bell and horn, contact Mgswy on here. He is the electronics guru.

This one is the all forward version.

This one for the ditch lights. Its seperate pieces and all you need is the round portion.

and the springy thing i was talking about is the metal piece shaped like a C under each window. They are flush against the car when no other car is coupled to it. When it is coupled to another car they spring out and touch the one from the adjoining car.

I figured that was what you were talking about regarding the "springy things". You wouldn't know what those are called would you? Trying to search for more information.

No idea what they are officially called, but nobody makes them. THey are usually cast onto the shells or scratch built.

Oh ok. I wonder what it would take to make. They could potentially aid in the pressure and weight of the cars as they are being pushed/pulled.

Oh ok. I wonder what it would take to make. They could potentially aid in the pressure and weight of the cars as they are being pushed/pulled.

I personally think it to keep pedestrians from getting between the cars. It looks like it might be kinda easy to make. If I were to scratch build it, i'de use some strips of styrene and a small ass spring with that has some sort of metal tab that can be flattened. This way it can give it some spring to it and have some sort of hook to have it sit flush when not coupled to another car. If not maybe a small brass hinge instead.

I personally think it to keep pedestrians from getting between the cars. It looks like it might be kinda easy to make. If I were to scratch build it, i'de use some strips of styrene and a small ass spring with that has some sort of metal tab that can be flattened. This way it can give it some spring to it and have some sort of hook to have it sit flush when not coupled to another car. If not maybe a small brass hinge instead.

That's exactly what they are for, to keep people from walking into the space between cars from high level platforms.......

Just a thought, the concept came from Europe or Asia, so it wouldn't hurt to check out parts for HO Euro or Japanese commuter car models.

One more thought: The "barriers" first appeared on the Comets with the Center Door. (Comet IV or V ???) The Walthers model of the Comets, as I recall, is an earlier version of the Comet (Comet II or Comet III) without the center door, and no springy barriers. Since the OP is planning on using the U-boat, the older Comet would be more appropriate.

The other add on parts listed would still be appropriate.

Joe

I just checked this Hoboken Terminal. Its got good pics for reference. If he plans on using the U34CH as motive power then why not do the passenger cars in Erie Lackanwanna/NJ DOT? Primemover decals sells those decals if you want those instead.

I just checked this Hoboken Terminal. Its got good pics for reference. If he plans on using the U34CH as motive power then why not do the passenger cars in Erie Lackanwanna/NJ DOT? Primemover decals sells those decals if you want those instead.

That's right, the U34CH remained on the EL out of Hoboken.

Another thought, the Erie Lackawanna/NJT DOT cars were redesignated as Comet 1 cars under NJT, but were different in numerous respects from the subsequent NJT Comets as represented by the Walthers cars.

Joe

The Comet 1's were always Comet 1's even under NJDOT/EL when purchased new.

OK, did not know that. I always assumed that NJT began calling them Comets.;). The Comet 1s were somewhat different from the rest of the Comet fleet, as I recall.

I remember the day, while qualifying, we caught a ride up to Weehawken, and got a look at the "puzzle", just outside the tunnel through the Palisades - (Now NJT Light Rail). On the way back, we caught a "Public Service" - now NJT - bus to Newark's Penn Station. While waiting for our train to Baltimore, I observed some of the CNJ's creativity, the home built Push Pull trains, either with a locomotive at both ends or a B&O Blue and yellow home made cab car, with Lady Liberty and NJDOT logos. Always wanted to build one from an Athearn BB Coach.

EL actually was making money running commuter trains, and the U boats and Comets + state aid reflected that. On our side, the Jersey Arrow MUs were still supplemented by numerous ancient MP54 E MUs, and Coasters with strings of P70FBRs.

Joe

The 'springy thing below the end cab window' is a 'subway gate,' type of thing, to keep people from trying to jump onto, or off of a moving train. They became standard on the NJT Comet cars, with either the Comet III's or IV's. They function like they do on subway cars-keeping people from jumping onto, or off of a moving train. They transfer none of the physical load between the cars. Back in the 1990s, NJT had several instances where (maybe drunk or high) people: climbed to the top of the cars, when Midtown Direct service started, while running underneath the Hudson River, and got electrocuted by the catenary, tried to either jump on, or off a train pulling into/out of a station, and got run over, because they either a)missed their train, or b) missed their station. The 'gates' were to prevent this sort of thing from happening as frequently. Additionally, they cut back on the availability of liquor being sold at the departing terminals(NY Penn, and Hoboken). Hate to tell you the number of times I'd be taking the train home from college, only to have the odd 'empty' beer can rolling around on the floor of the car, the whole way home...There were actually Comet I's that had a small bar area that served drinks, when first delivered. One or two of the side windows were either blacked or blanked out. I think Conrail ended the staffing of the bar cars, when they took over, however the bars weren't actually removed from the cars, until NJT came along in 1983, as I recall. I commuted to college in Newark, on the Morristown line in the 80-82, and remember being in a bar car, several times. Very useful during fan trips, also.

The Walther's Comet car is closest to a Comet II car-no middle doors, no 'subway gates,' as originally equipped. Also, doors did not drop below the traps, like on the Commet I's that only the EL had, originally.

Black thing around the door is a 'diaphram.' American Models Limited, or something like that might make an appropriate one.

Another difference is that I don't believe on the Comet III's there are any steps below the engineer's compartment, on the cab cars. Might be a 'holding tank' below the engineer's compartment in your photo. Something to hold sand wouldn't make any sense, as the car is 'unpowered.'

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information! I've gone ahead and purchased the horn, bell, and ditch light pieces for the comet cab. Where does the bell go by the way?

I will make sure to post pictures of my progress when I have time.

Also, does anybody have a copy of Railroad Model Craftsman December 1996? Specifically looking for the "Modeling a New Jersey Transit U34CH in HO scale
by Cicero, Frank page 84." I try finding one to purchase but not having any luck.

Thanks!

Back