Wake Up Train People!

railfan

junk collector
Decided to take a break from watching Man verses Food ( :eek: ) for a minute to show some more of my recently aquired N scale equipment. Winter and my 56 year old sore lower back are slowing down my layout build a little but am making some progress at least......and definitely having fun doing it. :)

Hey thanks Motley.

I have a DCC question for you or anyone out there.....I hope it's not too dumb but I've never seen DCC work live in person. If you have a DCC system....do the locomotive sounds come out of a speaker mounted on each particular locomotive :confused: ? Just logically guessing, I would have to think so.

It depends on the loco. But yes each DCC with sound locomotive has the speaker, or speakers mounted inside the shell.

For some larger diesels, like an MTH SD70Ace there is 2 speakers. Some smaller ones only can fit a small single speaker.

On steam locos the speakers are mounted in the tender.

This is a tender on a steam loco, that has 2 speakers in it.

This is HO scale.
DSC09409.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there alot of sound equipped N scale locos? I had heard there were only a select few due to the size constraints of speaker space and speakers themselves, but I might be wrong.

This is cool. I now live close to TRAINFAN9510......and I used to live near Motley in Littleton Colorado from 1968 to 1972.....and I lived in Snowmass Village, Colorado (near Aspen) for almost three decades before moving to Ohio in 2007. Both Ohio and Colorado are awesome states for trains! :)

It is somewhat the case, yes. I think that in general steam locos are easier because of the tender, but for diesels it is harder unless you're looking at the full width locos like E/F units, F45s, RDCs, and most of the stuff Amtrak use. If you look at your standard hood unit there just isn't really much room to work with. Having a powered loco hooked up to a dummy w/ sound in it is one option for such locos, or fitting sound to a boxcar to follow around the loco.

This is cool. I now live close to TRAINFAN9510......and I used to live near Motley in Littleton Colorado from 1968 to 1972.....and I lived in Snowmass Village, Colorado (near Aspen) for almost three decades before moving to Ohio in 2007. Both Ohio and Colorado are awesome states for trains! :)

It is a very good place for trains! Me and the gf love taking a day and going to Fostoria to watch trains. We have a trip up to Marion planned as well. There is also a pretty good place right here in columbus on cooke road, and we found another spot on google earth that we want to check out. Maybe ill see ya around!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is somewhat the case, yes. I think that in general steam locos are easier because of the tender, but for diesels it is harder unless you're looking at the full width locos like E/F units, F45s, RDCs, and most of the stuff Amtrak use. If you look at your standard hood unit there just isn't really much room to work with. Having a powered loco hooked up to a dummy w/ sound in it is one option for such locos, or fitting sound to a boxcar to follow around the loco.

Having the decoder in the dummy is a brilliant idea, I had never thought of that. We model HO so we dont run into that problem, but I had just noticed that all of the train shows we went to I have yet to hear sound from the N scale trains.

I seen a Atlas GP9 and GP38 equipped with sound.Both was DC not DCC.

I wasn't impress with the sound since it sounded more like white noise then a locomotive.I was more impress with a sound equipped boxcar behind a Atlas MP15DC.

Since I've felt the ground shake and my internal organs vibrate at the approach of 1:1 sized trains throughout my railfanning days, I can't say I'm very impressed by whatever diesel sounds a typical 1"-wide speaker can reproduce. [Which in my case is probably a good thing, since I'd probably go bankrupt trying to sound-equip my entire fleet:eek:]

Since I've felt the ground shake and my internal organs vibrate at the approach of 1:1 sized trains throughout my railfanning days, I can't say I'm very impressed by whatever diesel sounds a typical 1"-wide speaker can reproduce. [Which in my case is probably a good thing, since I'd probably go bankrupt trying to sound-equip my entire fleet:eek:]

I'm with you on that one! I only have 12 of my.....mmmmm...er....200(?) or so locomotives with sound...enough to keep a certain little Spring from cabeese napping....:eek:

Back