WAHX. Who dat?

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Hey fellows, got a question.
When I was coming back from getting a haircut today, I went by the old GM&O depot and saw 8 SD40-2's lined up getting fueled by truck. Why there and not at the yard is beyond me. That's right...no camera.:(

This rail line used to be GM&O, then MidSouth, and up to a few months ago was Kansas City Southern. Now there is another smaller type company taking over... can't remember name.The question 4 had KCS lettering, but 4 of them had a brand new paint job, painted black with burnt-yellow trim, and was lettered WAHX. Is this a leasing company?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex,

The "X" on the ending of reporting marks indicates a private owner. It is more than likely a lease unit, although I've never heard of them.

I'll try to get over to the yard and make sure of the letters. They were big letters on the side of the engine. I would guess that the Loco's had been refurbished as there wasn't even dust on them.

Must be a fairly new company, I did a search on a site that has a reporting mark search engine and it came back with sorry no results. First time this site has let me down. By the way it's at www.rrdepot.com go there and click on reporting mark search. I keep it in my favorites column for quick access.
:eek:

Thanks Andy. I feel certain that it is WA*X, but I may have made a mistake with the third letter. The letters are not the usual size reporting marks, but big Name letters like "KCS" or "CSX" on the locomotive side. That's why I thought they may be the name of the company.

What the new company is doing is taking over all the Kansas City Southern's industry switching and their yard in the Tuscaloosa area. They will be taking the consists over to Columbus, Miss. and connect to the KCS mainlines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back