Vote now. How should we manage the Coffee Shop?

What's it gonna be???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Vote now. How would you like to see the Coffee Shop managed?

There's two trains of thought (no pun) here, start a new coffee shop thread weekly or, ala the "other" site, let this one run indefinitely.

Keep in mind that when you click on the thread, you're taken to the current page.

Well, what'll it be???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey - is it time to ask that this topic be locked, and a new Coffee Shop topic started? We're at 31 pages as I write this...

Why put a lock on a good thing all you have to do is click on favorites then click on save then it will come where you left off. I can't understand why someone wood want to start it over every week I know theres a lot of just off topic in here but there is also a lot of good stuff and to try find which coffee shop its in after you get 6 or so coffee shops locked would be real hard. you can also change your post on a page from 10 to 20 or 30 or 40 so you could be only on page 8 right now if you wanted I'm on 16 as I have 20 post per page set up in my prefferences. as thats what most forums run is 20 post per page and speaking of that 0ne I know is on page 741 and another 168 and theres another over 350 that I visit . If you want a weekly coffee shop do one but the bottom line wheather this should be locked would be Grande man or model bob

When ig gets over a week you forget where you were and have to search back to your last post, and well, after about 20 pages I gave up.

Heck, even after a day or so I've got to go back 5 or 6 pages, and I'm accessing this from more than one computer as well.

Personally I'd rather see a new one each week. Something about a 1000 post thread just isn't very appealing. I know I was interested when I saw the Coffee Shop on the "other" board a few weeks ago, but there was no way I could follow it. I think more new members would be interested (and less intimidated) if they only had to catch up on 150 posts from a single week rather than 1000 posts from the last month. :rolleyes:

I visit another forum that uses this same software, and has threads with over 20,000 posts --- 1300 pages! I don't visit often, so I stick a post-it on my monitor with the date of my last visit in case I've deleted my cookies.

I've gone hunting a few times using either keyword or username searches, and found what I was looking for.

Do as you wish but if your going to do that then I guess all topics should have a one week limit on them and then be locked like the poll on which railroad you like as its been going scince march and some just posted to it today that want this shut down after just a week.

Just one more thought hope it doesn't happen to you but you post an question to someone and they don't see it as the coffee shop is locked and a new one is started and they don't bother go to the old one to see what was last said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted to let it run indefinitely. I don't have any trouble going back to where I left off.
[ Just my opinion ] :)

Stan.

My first thought is to let it run. It's fun to read a few pages back from where you left off and see what was posted. It's a popular topic and a lot gets posted to it.

SpaceMouse brings up a good point, though. On the 'other' forum, the Coffee Shop is growing almost exponentially. When I log on to this forum, the Coffee Shop is usually the first place I go. I used to do the same thing on the 'other' forum, but it became more difficult to keep up as the thread got longer, and longer, and longer, and ..... well, you get the idea. I don't even GO to the CS of the 'other' forum anymore! The Coffee Shop here is growing and will grow even faster as more members check it out and see how much fun it is. I'd hate for it to get so big that the fun would disappear and visiting would be a chore rather than a pleasure.

I don't have a good answer. Maybe a weekly CS would work better. Maybe a monthly CS? I think we may have to have a limit at some point or the whole thing will drag itself down and that would destroy the purpose of the CS.

We could try a monthly CS. "The November Coffee Shop is Open!" as a topic heading so everyone will know where to go. It will grow, but not to the point of self-destruction. Easier to follow and keep current, and the old shops would still be available for reading if you wanted to go back to look something up.

I'm willing to go along with whatever is done, at least until I can't keep up any more. Then, like Chip, I'd just stop going.

That's my opinion, FWIW! Now, off to the Coffee Shop!

Darrell, being quiet...for now

dgwinup said:
We could try a monthly CS. "The November Coffee Shop is Open!" as a topic heading so everyone will know where to go. It will grow, but not to the point of self-destruction. Easier to follow and keep current, and the old shops would still be available for reading if you wanted to go back to look something up.

Darrell, that's an idea worthy of some debate. It would be a happy medium.

I like the monthly idea. Many Coffee Shop topics tend to "fall off the radar" in a day or two. Those that develop continuity could be moved to the ANPL Clubcar and given a topic of their own.

LR, let me propose a third idea...

I can create a "Coffee shop category" then folks can create new discussions there, which would make it easier to read. I'd move the ANPL there too, since it's pretty much the same idea. In fact, maybe I'd just call the place "the ANPL Coffee Shop"!

Whaddya think?

To make it easy, I went ahead and made the change. Since the ANPL and Coffee shop are both pretty much the same idea I've edited the name and description a bit to make it clearer what the intent is.

You're welcome to still do a monthly discussion if you'd like, and spin off discussions can be started seperately if you prefer.

In any case, I'd suggest that even if you start a new discussion for the next week or month or whatever, let the old one expire on its own, rather than locking it. If people like the idea of a new one each month, they'll use it even if you don't lock the old one.

OK, the new category looks great. Let's see how the poll runs out on member wishes for the coffee shop thread and go from there. As of now, a monthly thread seems to be a good option. The coffee shop is a popular thread for folks to just say hello and I'd like everyone to be happy with the format. It's great to have a place to just chat and save the serious MR discussion for the appropriate categories.

Back