Vintage C&O photos by Chessie System 3

Good ol loup creek. You know I have never caught a train either going on or coming off that branch. I know the train usually sit down the line past the coaling tower. Well atleast it was the last time i was in thurmond anyways. The rj corman stuff ive caught sitting on the branch itself across the bridge. Its amazing this branch has survived as long as it has. Most of the old branchlines have been abandoned. Can see the remains of what was once the paint creek branch from the turnpike between beckley and charleston.

That TOWER begs to be modeled!
I am really liking the next picture after that, the left hand curve view across the tracks at rail level.....post #2.
Now I know some of these aren't new to some.
They'll get over it......
It is was such a different world of railroading on the east coast than in the west!! There were 2 & 3 track mainlines in the 20's back there, when it was a single weed infested 85-90 lb single mainline out here.
Great pictures of the C&O Justin..... I see some west coast flavor snuck into a pic with an SP box car...... ;)

Things were just more subdued then, with lots of earth tones.
That was probably due to all the haze , equipment used to take the image , film selected and the age of the film at exposure. Several of the images look like they're color shifted .

Lets journey to the long been abandoned paint creek subdivision.
unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

How about some hoppers?
003501.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Switching Tower Kit

It took me a long time to find this image of the switching tower lit that I had. It didn't show up when I googled images?

It was a Micro-Scale Model of the Eastern Tower
20073137499_EasternTower-2.jpg

View attachment 127938

Sorry to interrupt thread, but this lack of finding the correct image was bugging me :eek:
I dont think you caused an interruption to the thread. Its been discussed in this thread on modeling certain structures. Its an open thread that i add to when i think about it. This thread is more or less a look into the nitty gritty of appalachian coal mining and as a use for some modeling insight. I know i use prototype photos as a guide for my layout building needs. I welcome any and all kinds of modeling photos as well. And on the topic of towers or cabins as they were called on the c&o. I dont have a single one. Mostly because i model more of a branchline than an actual mainline where the cabins were located. Its a good share and i thank you for adding to the thread.

I am rather partial to C&O having got back into the bobby when I living up in the DC-Balt area where John Glabb had a brass shop with LOTS of C&O engines,....and Howard Zane also at that time. Plus I like steam engines more than diesels

Last edited:
How about a project like this,..

C&O Heavy Pacific 4-6-2
I just received in the mail a Broadway Ltd heavy pacific 4-6-2 locomotive in the Erie road name. For some reason I thought I had purchased a heavy mountain 4-8-2, one of my favorite C&O engines. I was all set to convert this Erie engine into a C&O engine. ....oops

So I did a quick search to see if C&O actually utilize many/any pacifics, and I found this site that indicated that C&O was very fond of these Pacific locos,..
https://www.american-rails.com/co-f.html

What was arguably the Chesapeake & Ohio's most famous steam class included its fleet of 4-6-2's. These Pacifics, ranging from the F-15's of 1902 to the powerful F-19's of the mid-1920s, were the mainstay of passenger assignments across the railroad's system.

During the F-18's rebuild in 1931, being reclassed as F-18a's, they received similar upgrades as the F-17's with 74-inch drivers, a boiler pressure increase to 200 psi, Baker Valve Gear, smaller cab, new Duplex stoker, increase in weight (334,420 pounds), and the now-classic "Flying Pumps" situated on the smokebox giving the locomotive's a "beefier" appearance.

571732jmk9908176007.jpg
Chesapeake & Ohio 4-6-2 #475 (F-17) is seen here in Huntington, West Virginia on August 1, 1946. This Pacific was a 1914 product of Alco's Richmond Works. Arthur Johnson photo.

I wonder what would be involved to make my Erie loco look like this C&O version??

C&O H7 loco, HO scale, in modern plastic
Have there ever been any manufacturers that have considered making the 'massive' C&O H7 in plastic rather than just brass?...HO scale

I had a fellow who at one time was going to kit-bash one of my Proto 2-8-8-2 into an H7 lookalike, But it fell thru. And I wanted mine to utilize a vandy tender

Just found this Youtube video of an O scale one,....what a sound !, What a brute !
I
C%26O%20H7.jpg

Back