Video on makeing Timberline smashed trees

Mike,

Your efforts with the AC&T, and recording its progress are among the main reasons I became a regular on this site. Always interested in what you're up to, even if its in a different scale, or modeled region, or I don't leave a comment. 'Trains is trains.'

Mike,

Your efforts with the AC&T, and recording its progress are among the main reasons I became a regular on this site. Always interested in what you're up to, even if its in a different scale, or modeled region, or I don't leave a comment. 'Trains is trains.'
Thanks So Much.
It is great to have you follow along.

Mike

A clever product, I would agree. However, the multi-colored ground foam provided with the kit used to flock the armatures renders an appearance that is not typical of any pine/fir trees (which the shape of the Smashed Trees tends to represent) that I am familiar with. Such trees in my experience will have perhaps varying shades of green with some browns included, but never obvious yellows. I'm basing my comments on such trees found in eastern North America. I suppose that it could in incorrect for species of these types of trees found perhaps in the Rockies, or Pacific Northwest. Anyone here care to comment further in that regard?

NYW&B

John, the only needles I have seen that are light in colour, somewhat yellowish, or even brown, are on dying/invaded trees where either aphids or pine beetles are cutting a swath down entire mountainsides as the pine beetles did in British Columbia a few years back. I would have to agree that yellow needles don't appear often either in my memory or when I drive around the province.

In my experience, a tree has pine needles that are all one colour if they are relatively healthy, EXCEPT in the spring when they produce new clumps of needles at the tips of all their branchlets. In that case, they are light green...again, only on the very tips of the branches.

I have a blue spruce, a twisted runt, that was beset by aphids every spring over the past eight years. It didn't thrive, but I was determined to make it a proud beauty. Starting in April, I would take a pressure washer and blast the undersides of the needles with the water. It drove off the aphids, and their herding and protecting ant masters. Of course I would have to return a week later and do the same thing until the season was over. Slowly, the spruce has begun to take hold, and is now showing signs of determination and growth. It's needles are a beautiful light teal, but at the moment, as I look, it's branchlet tips show the light breen bunches of emerging needles. I know it has aphids when those needles are bleached, browning, and somewhat yellowish in appearance.

Right, Crandell. With the exception of damaged or dying pine/fir/cedar trees all the species I'm familiar from eastern North America are some shade of green, although the exact shade can vary over a very large range dependent on species. I would add that in spring our local cedars do display rather intensely orange "blossoms", altering their general appearance insignificantly!

NYW&B

Back