VIDEO - 1080p flyover of the Logan Valley

Thanks -- it's inspiring to see something done at such a consistent level of quality, especially considering that you seem to have several other absorbing hobbies! Very well done!

Thanks Jack. I still see a lot of room for improvement. A lot of this was started a long time ago. My skills have improved over the years and a lot more detail items have also come on the market in HO scale. Some time in the future older area will be hopefully worked on and improved. I have too many areas where work has begun and not completed, but mostly because of a lack of hobby shops. I guess I could invest in a new Walthers catalog and and get what I need ordered. I do want to move ahead in the town of Logan for the time being, but I do have a long list of improvements.

That's a great video of a great layout! You may have a long list of improvements but you have an even longer list of accomplishments. Really fantastic work!

Great video of your layout. Its nice to see an overall view of layouts.

Very well done, the scenery and trackwork are impressive.

Chet,

Really great video! Any chance of a current track plan being posted? If it already has been, what thread did you post it in.

Working now, viglink must've been down for maintenance or something. Too late this eve to do it justice, in the morning hopefully.

Chet,

Really great video! Any chance of a current track plan being posted? If it already has been, what thread did you post it in.

I can't help you with a track plan Carey. I never had one. I did have a plan for the railroad and ideas for towns and industries. That's the nice thing about hand laying track or using flex track. You can have broader curves not being locked into set radius turns as you would be using sectional track. I just let the track flow and worked in the town and industries as the layout moved along. I only had one problem in the town of Anceny. I did want to stick to a 32 inch minimum radius cruve for the main line and laid the track a bit too soon and it ended up that the town just didn't look right and in dealing with a rather small space tracks had to be moved to make all of the rail customers fit into the town. Oops

I can't help you with a track plan Carey. I never had one.

I've known some modelers who built their layouts this way, and it seemed that they would have 3-4 layouts, to one of mine, they made so many changes. I understand not having a drawn out plan but you do have one, its in your head. Now, I've always had to have a drawn plan, but it was never used as a "blueprint" to the construction of a layout. To me they are always a guideline to what I want. For example, on my trackplan, that's on my website and even on this website, I have an interchange with the L&N, that was never installed. I felt that it would make the area it was in, look too congested with track. There are several areas that things have been inserted or removed that may or not be on the plan.

I did have a plan for the railroad and ideas for towns and industries. That's the nice thing about hand laying track or using flex track. You can have broader curves not being locked into set radius turns as you would be using sectional track. I just let the track flow and worked in the town and industries as the layout moved along. I only had one problem in the town of Anceny. I did want to stick to a 32 inch minimum radius cruve for the main line and laid the track a bit too soon and it ended up that the town just didn't look right and in dealing with a rather small space tracks had to be moved to make all of the rail customers fit into the town. Oops

This is the perfect example of why the plan to me is simply a guide and NOT an absolute, that must, must be built exactly as drawn, with no changes at all. Doing it this way will actually frustrate you more times than actually getting pleasure from the build. I'm also aware of handlaid track biggest problem, CHANGES! Because when you make a change to handlaid track, you will lose a lot of ties, if not all of them, you'll definitely lose 99% of the spikes put down. To top it off, if you're not careful about extracting the rail, you will lose that as well. Don't expect to make these changes in a few hours either. Changes are much easier with Flex.

Only my first 2 layouts were built with sectional track, cause by then I had taught myself how to handlay track and build my own turnouts. I've handlaid ever since. Now, don't get me wrong, I've used flex track on layouts that I've help build, from 3 club layouts, to 20, if not more friends personal layouts. From code 125 track for O-scale 2 rail, to code 55 for narrow gauge in HO. I learned how to tune up or even rebuild turnouts up to the point where I can get the worst performing turnouts, to perform as well as the best turnouts on the market.

I find handlaying my track and turnouts very relaxing, and not tedious at all. I had found out, after first learning to handlay, and build turnouts, of all kinds, that I had enough practice to be able to build turnouts better than I could buy, and a lot cheaper as well. The tools I used to handlay with; A pair of lightweight needle nose pliers, for many years a Dremel with a cutoff disk, now with Xuron cutters, 5 KD three point gauges, a thin metal straight edge,and last but definitely not least, a NMRA Gauge. A regular turnout, #4,#6,#8 or bigger costs me about $3.00, and the most expensive switch is a double crossover. It was about $9.00. What was the price of a double slip? $7.00

When I started this layout, I had some 8 bags of Campbell's low profile ties left with the price on them as marked $6.95 per bag of regular ties and $7.95 for the switch ties. I almost had a heart attack when I saw what their price was, This was about 10 years ago, and the ties were around $20.00 a bag. Don't know what the price is now. So I learned to cut my own ties. I cut the "blanks" on a 10" table saw, and then cut the ties to proper length on a 4" table saw. I have jigs that I use, for the proper sizes, and to date I believe that I have cut, stained and glued down over 35,000 ties. The board that I cut them from was an 8' long piece of knotless white pine. I still have almost 1/2 of that board left and I have about another 50-75 feet of track left to lay, depending on some changes that I see may have to be done. That's why the large difference in the possible length still to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video of an even better layout! Thank you for the narration, it really adds to the enjoyment of the video.

One of the reasons I started the layout hand laying the track and turnouts was money. After having an N scale layout, I couldn't get over the oversize rail which was all that was available in the late 70's that was affordable. I knew that the railroad was going to be a short line/branch line railroad and heavy rail would not be used, and I really liked the look of code 70 rail. Flex track and turnouts were available when I started the layout, but like you mentioned building your own turnouts and track is so less expensive. I still have a couple of bags of ties laying around somewhere and a number of lengths of code 70 rail that I really have no use for now. Had kids and their problems at the time the layout was started kept the model railroad budget down.

Using sectional track really limits you when you're building a layout, especially when you are putting together yards and industrial areas and also locks you into a set radius that is available in sectional track. Either hand laying or using flex track makes track alignment so much easier by letting you cut to length the track you need and to make any small adjustments are easy t make whereas using sectional track could leave you having misaligned track or kinks that could possibly cause a derailment. I'll always advise new modelers to consider flex for this reason.

Another thing I learned the hard way was to have all of your structures built before you lay track down. This is why I had to tear out some track and like you said, little can be saved. I did end up scratch building some structures in order to have them fit into a given space that could not be avoided due to the lack of real estate we have on model railroads. It's sometimes quite a challenge, but I do enjoy it. I'm just sorry that it took me 25 years to get to this point, but without any available hobby shops, that's the way it goes.

Glad you enjoyed the video Louis. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got to have a look-see. A real treat. And the commentary "fleshed it out" nicely. Noticed what looked to me to be a 50's French car (Citroen traction avante) sitting outside the Gateway Market. Am I correct?

You are correct. I have been collecting HO vehicles for over 25 years. There weren't many available when I started, but in recent years more vehicles for the transition era have become available and in time the old Wiking vehicles will be retired.

One of the reasons I started the layout hand laying the track and turnouts was money. After having an N scale layout, I couldn't get over the oversize rail which was all that was available in the late 70's that was affordable. I knew that the railroad was going to be a short line/branch line railroad and heavy rail would not be used, and I really liked the look of code 70 rail. Flex track and turnouts were available when I started the layout, but like you mentioned building your own turnouts and track is so less expensive. I still have a couple of bags of ties laying around somewhere and a number of lengths of code 70 rail that I really have no use for now. Had kids and their problems at the time the layout was started kept the model railroad budget down.

I actually have 3 different rail sizes on my layout. Code 100 was used for all the hidden track and the staging yards. Why that size, a friend of mine had bought a box of 100 pieces of Code 100 flex, and decided to get out of the hobby. He asked if I had a use for it and when I said yes, he gave it to me.

My Mainline is all Code 83 rail, and all my yard tracks, spurs and sidings are Code 70. My branchline which generates most of the traffic on the layout, is also all Code 70. I've thought about going down to Code 55 for the spurs on the branch, but decided not to. I still have some way to go, and have 2 and 1/2 bundles of Code 70 rail left, but I believe that I'll have to get another bundle from Proto87 Stores, where I order all my rail from. On bundles of rail, they have the best prices around.

I did change rail sizes also in the hidden staging area. Everything that is visible on the layout is code 70, but I ran across a deal from a friend of mine living in another state. One of the members in his model railroad club ordered too much code 83 flex track and I was able to get it at less than half price, and to top it off, he had four #6 turnouts that worked out perfectly to complete the hidden track work. All I had to pick up was a couple of transition tracks from code 83 to code 70 which Walthers carried in their Shinohara line. That was a no brainer. I still have some 3 foot sections of code 70 rail left over. If you're interested, let me know. All I would have to do is figure out what to ship it in.

Yes very interested in it. Go to the post office, they should have the tube needed to ship it in. I know that Office Depot, Staples, or Office Max would have them, but I don't know if any of those types of office supply stores are in your area.

Back