VIA Rail trains struck and kill 3 teenagers

it is very regretable what happened to those young men. what is even more regretable is that someone had to wash that locomotive after that.

I'm getting tired of reporters calling them 'pedestrians' (CTV in particular)....they're not pedestrians, they're trespassers...big difference!

Trespasser, taggers, vandal.. Whatever

To be happy about the death of 3 young kids is beyond low-life idiocy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well beer, paint and a skate board sounds like a night out on the town to find death some where guess it just happen to be a train.

They took a risk and didn't think to keep an eye out. I really don't have a problem with graffiti, when it isn't gang related and/or screwing something up. But the danger is part of the art. So, yes, it's their own fault for being there.

TBH I feel more for their families, the engineer, and the people who saw them get hit.

Graffiti aficionados' deaths mourned

Friends and family pull together to share the pain of loss

In the closely connected West Island, the deaths of three young men in a train accident Monday have caused grief and pain to emanate in an all-encompassing arc. Among the three dead and two survivors, most were from the same graduating year, having finished high school last semester and starting CEGEP, or planning to. Three of the five were either enrolled in fine arts programs or intended to do so.

For many friends, the pain of the loss of Mitchell Bracken-Guenet, Ricardo Conesa and Dylan Ford, all 17, is compounded by the fact they lost a classmate from Beaconsfield High School two years ago under similar circumstances -15-year-old Justin Brousseau was killed by a train near the Beaconsfield train station. One of the survivors lost two best friends -Justin and one of Monday's victims.

Parents are worried for their children -teenagers on the cusp of adulthood who often don't share their pain, or anything else, with their parents. Children of an age when friends are often the most important people in their lives. Parents are also worried that grieving children will want to hold a vigil at the accident site, risking further tragedy.

"Every time we see the kids in pain, we are in pain," said the mother of a boy who was close friends with Bracken-Guenet. She spoke to The Gazette on condition that she not be named. "It's not just our personal child -they are all our kids."

She accompanied her 13-year-old daughter to Beaconsfield High on Monday and stayed there, just in case. The school had counsellors for the children, but the mother ended up taking about 10 students back to her home by 11 a.m. so they could grieve among friends. "Teenagers are used to the death of grandparents, not of people their age, not three at once, and not on top of losing another just years before," said the mother, a hospital employee who works with the dying. "It's a lot for them to take." Her daughter texted in the following days: "Come pick me up from school." "Why, are you sick?" "No, I'm just sad, really sad ... everybody is talking about Mitch and I knew him, Mommy."

Her son sat next to Bracken-Guenet in class at John Abbott College. He wants to change seats. Bracken-Guenet's locker at John Abbott, where he studied fine arts, has become a shrine.

Their pain is compounded by the cruelty of others -comments left on media Internet sites saying a bunch of rich kids from the West Island defacing our territory in St. Henri had it coming, or blaming the parents for letting their sons stay out till 3 a.m.

"You and I, we can filter out those kind of comments," said the mother, who admitted she cried when she read them. "But teenagers can't."

Their pain is compounded by circumstance: The mother of Ford was in the United States burying her mother when she got the call that her son had died.

Conesa was an exchange student; his parents have to come from Spain to claim their son.

Their pain is also compounded by a sense that train corporations are deaf to their pleas to fence high-traffic areas, or put in flashing lights or noise alarms warning of coming trains.

Their pain is soothed by community, companionship, mothers of victims and survivors coming together to cry over their loss. By a vigil held Tuesday night for Bracken-Guenet at the Beaconsfield skateboard park where he was often seen -a popular child who stood out.

The pain is lessened by the dozens of teenagers who surround the survivors -plagued by guilt, traumatized, pale, speaking little -to protect them. The pain is lessened by people like the mother who contacted The Gazette to say to the grieving: "There's a lot of people thinking of you, a lot of people who have lived similar tragedies. You are not alone."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com

For many friends, the pain of the loss of Mitchell Bracken-Guenet, Ricardo Conesa and Dylan Ford, all 17, is compounded by the fact they lost a classmate from Beaconsfield High School two years ago under similar circumstances -15-year-old Justin Brousseau was killed by a train near the Beaconsfield train station
Kids today don't learn from mistakes..

Parents are also worried that grieving children will want to hold a vigil at the accident site, risking further tragedy.

Rest my case

Her son sat next to Bracken-Guenet in class at John Abbott College. He wants to change seats. Bracken-Guenet's locker at John Abbott, where he studied fine arts, has become a shrine.

Idolizing criminal acts, this **** needs to stop, it is happening more often.
Anyone remember the story last year about Cincinnati Bengals Chris Henry and how he died? He was chasing after his girlfriend and fell off the truck she was trying to escape in. History of assault/driving drunk but still praised.

Their pain is compounded by the cruelty of others -comments left on media Internet sites saying a bunch of rich kids from the West Island defacing our territory in St. Henri had it coming, or blaming the parents for letting their sons stay out till 3 a.m.

What is the deal with them saying "Their pain is compounded" in way too many sentences???

Their pain is compounded from stupid kids and parents not doing their job as parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their pain is compounded from stupid kids and parents not doing their job as parents.

There's always more than one side to a story. To evaluate each story one must know all the specifics.
Here in Canada it's almost against the law to discipline your children. If a child feels you've gone to far, the child can stir up multi problems with children's aid and you'll be paying big bucks in lawyers fees in family court. This doesn't happen often (maybe it should to high-lite the stupidity). None the less like parents everywhere those parents love their children and will grieve with their loss as will other parents be afraid of losing their kin.

Cheers
Willis

Thank you!

I did not see any note that the kids were trying to cross tracks on the way home. This clearly was not accident it was pure stupidity and karma cought them. Sad but true. I did however just read that it noted "Graffiti aficionados" That tells me that this crowd was intrested in writing their name on others peopls stuff and defacing their own city they live in. Not a big loss here in my book. just wish the parents would have taken charge of their kids direction and give them the right tools to move ahead in life:cool:

This always come back to one point : education. I asked a few people i know : "to who belong the rail ?" 50% never asked themselve, and the other 40% thought it was public, like an airport. Only 1 person did know that it was CN private property. I remember that at the elementary school the police used to come each year for the operation lifesaver to warn people of the danger of trains( there was a track right behind the school ). The PD dosent visit schools anymore, lack of budget $$$.

Back