Via f40ph-2

iomalley

Barely-employed Brakeman
Been working on a VIA F40PH-2 over the holidays. Man, they are a BIG job! You wouldn't think to look at them, but there are subtle mods that differ from the Amtrak units that can't be faked, like...

- The engine access door is moved back one panel
- The airbrake access doors (under the cab) is 2/3 the size of the Amtrak vers.
- The horn notch is filled
- The fueltank cluster is totally different
- roof changes in the exhaust, dyn brake fan and cooling fans...

A lot of work...why do I bother...:D

Looking good so far, how you painting this one?

Modeling Canadian anything is a pain in the rear! So many little differences compared to the US versions. But look on the bright side, at least you're not doing one of the newly rebuilt ones with the extended rear end!

Nice work. My Metrolink one required allot of work, but not quite that much. Those fans are a pain to drill out on the Walthers unit!

Nice start to a great model! I feel your pain, I did two F40PH's when they were first introduced into the system. At the time we actually had a VIA train passing through our city, and I was able to take many photos for reference. The first one I made was done using a Life Like model, later did a better detailed one, but cannot recall whose model it was. See attached shot of my 6418. I had to scratchbuild the pilot on the first model, but this one sports a brass one by Miniatures by Eric, who also supplied many of the other details.

Good luck in your project!

Nice work, so far. I like the fact you're going to the trouble of changing out the Blomberg M's for those with exposed bearings. I built one a few years back, LL shell and machined Athearn GP40-2 chassis. Turned out okay, I think.

IMG_0014.png

I've started a newer, better one using a Kato.

The Katos are nice, but they have a major drawback. Even thought they have Q-fans, they're each sitting in an octagonal depression...something that will have to be removed completely.

Nice work guys! Inspiring me to forge ahead!

BTW, I noticed last night that VIA even requested the rear sand fills be lowered 18"....sheesh! :rolleyes:

It is kind of interesting that both countries can't use the identical locomotives. I don't know if it's national pride or real operating differences. Seems like wanting Canadian Fords with the tails lights in a different postion. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why they bothered either. They're just subtle differences too, like the rear sand fillers are 18" lower, the side door is one panel back, and the brake equip doors are 2/3 the length of the Amtrak version. Oh, and the fuel tank arrangement is diff too.

I think the reason there are so many subtle variations is because VIA's F40PH's were produced much later than most of Amtrak's. When I looked it up, Amtrak took delivery of the F40 in 1976-1978.

http://on-track-on-line.com/amtk-roster-engines.shtml

VIA didn't take delivery of the F40 until ten years later. (1986-1989.) I think, in reality, the VIA F40 is really a "dash 3" variant of the "dash 2" Amtrak versions.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out that problem with the rad fans on the Kato unit. I hadn't even noticed... yet...

The LL bodies are very good IMO, especially if you can grab a undec body. There are a few errors in it, but there are equally as many errors in the Walthers body, and much more in the Bachmann.

I wouldn't pay more than $15 for a LL though, cuz the trucks are garbage. I've seen examples of guys retrucking the LLs with Athearn trucks and they looked awesome.

Don't worry if the LL doesn't match the VIA F40PH-2, because NO manufacturer matches the VIA version.

An update

most of the heavy work is done, engine access door, air brake access door, fans, some details on the roof.

she's been primed, and the VIA grey has been sprayed. I've cast the air tanks and battery boxes in resin already, and the fuel tanks are almost ready to cast as well.

yellow paint this week, finishing up the pilots as well, then to start on the chassis details...

Nice shell and really nice little castings there. I've never been very good at resin castings.

Well those are my first castings. From what I deduced, is that the more you spend on your RTV silicone (quality-wise) the better your end product. The stuff I got was like $50 a 1/2 quart. There's no bubbles at all that form in the RTV, you can even go further and de-bubble it by putting the mix in a vacuum...but not necessary. The stuff sets up in 10-12 hours, but I leave it all night. The RTV even picked up the brush stroke detail of the cement glue residue of glueing it to the mould box! Excellent stuff, so your master has to be perfect!

The resin on the other hand, is $23 for 8 ozs, and it's so-so. It's hard to work out the bubbles on an open face mould, it sets up in a few minutes. Some air is trapped in your detail no matter what you do but sometimes you can add 'chasers' to relocate the bubbles, IE add a 020 styrene rod to your master to a problem area and force the bubble to follow the rod casting and simply cut/file the excess.

Back