Via f40ph-2

good eye...still iffy on making that change, as well as the stirrups. VIA steps are all boxed inserts into the body, not external steps as the Amtrak style...some changes would just beat my head in...have to stop somewhere.

I'm also leaving the rear sand fills high, so some compromises are going to remain. I'm building this for another modeler who is exact about the underframe/trucks/roof and ends but is willing to compromise the step/door issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um maybe....
I'm building this one for Manny, that is if he likes the final product...:D

Ah cool... it just might end up on BN tracks yet then! :cool:
I was at Manny's yesterday, he's probably still wiping up the drool from his display cases! :p

It's really not hard to change the doors. I did it on mine. Just cut the old door and make a new one. Then take a spare door handle off a sprue from one of your kaslo GP9RM kits.

update;

mocked up the resin tank parts on the 1st engineer's side. I think the air tanks, which were cast up from the Kato tank ends, are too big and I'll probably end up using the Walther's tank ends. The fuel tank is a cut down SD70mac tank side, which is more proper for the VIA F40 cross section. The batt box is half of a Kato Amtrak batt box.

on the nose, I sketched out the MU door in pencil to get an idea the size of the door to draw one up and make a decal for it.

The tanks looks good to me, but perhaps they stick out too far? Take a look at proto photos, but if you shaved a scale foot off the insides, they may look a little more real. Also, you're not used to seeing them in white. Black is a "slimming" color, so it'll make everything blend in better. Any chance I could buy some castings off of you?

Great job! The yellow and grey came out great!
Is that a switcher I see in the background ;)
Another VIA project?

Thanks for the update

Is that a switcher I see in the background ;)
Another VIA project?

Kinda. I had an undec SW1000 for years now, and found a cheap MP15 cab and details....sooooo...

I'm going to finish it up in VIA paint no. 203, but will probably leave off the VIA logo and use it as an unmarked plant or industrial switcher. If I decide to sell it, it will be finished up VIA.

I have no illusions that I would get my $$ out of it, like who would buy a VIA switcher? They only had maybe 5 of them, some in Montreal, some in Mimico.

VIA shows up on my 1984(ish) BN layout from time to time as well. (see rule 1)
Right now I'm tempted to ditch my Walthers PH2 tho and get another Kato PH2, that or remotor the first. Since it only appears now and then I'm not looking for spot on accuracy.
Anyway to get the dang thing to run better?

Well I turfed the trucks in favour of Athearn trucks...that should go along way for reliability and serviceablility. (try removing those Walther's trucks...yikes! :eek:)

AFA the motor, it's a small motor in a small well in the frame, and Alines/katos with flywheels won't fit. I see I still have some homework to do I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

VIA shows up on my 1984(ish) BN layout from time to time as well. (see rule 1)
Right now I'm tempted to ditch my Walthers PH2 tho and get another Kato PH2, that or remotor the first. Since it only appears now and then I'm not looking for spot on accuracy.

This was the #1 reason I'm making a Kato. You can try as you like, but a re-motored Athearn or Walthers will never run as well as a Kato, especially below 5mph.

Well...the project has been shelved....the paint was rejected by the client...and I'm not very happy with it myself...paint over orig. paint, not a good idea...

So I had a friend with some PollyS ELO to strip a stock walthers to restart the project...

This time I'm updating the cab door and steps, and putting in a proper brake equip door...

Well in an attempt to simplify the remaining fleet of VIA F40PH-2s I have to build, I've undertaken a small project to create a photoetched detail set to simplify the build...and preserve my sanity!

for more info see http://www.execulink.com/~railbus/

It's basically photoetched glue-on parts, some very fine in detail, but I hope I've nailed all the specific VIA details on this etch set (see low res pic)

Any other part for the VIA units that is available thru another source (Cannon, Details West, Details Assoc., Miniatures by Eric etc) is not included.

Lemme know what you think! It's going to production in a few weeks...

PS I've also sent drawings of the CP Rail widevision van vestibule storm doors to a well knows brass etching model company...look for that kit in a few weeks to finish off your Rapido caboose!!!

Back