Very thin wire 40 awg?

rgeiter

Conrail Quality
Many years ago I bought some very thin wire to build my signals with. It was very thin. I could fit about six wires down a 3/32 brass tube. (see photo) I thought I bought it from minitronics but I can’t find it there. I’m sure I did not buy it from Oregon Rail Supply. Anyone have any ideas where I could find this wire. All I found was 30 awg wire. Below is a comparison of the thin wire I need (green) and the 30 awg wire (orange).
DE0567DD-A2DC-4808-A1AE-D391BE67318E.jpeg
C8CAF466-D8D3-4EF1-B4DB-8D1F3301AF97.jpeg
7BEC7FC8-0901-411C-A5CD-3D14CDB8C6E3.jpeg

My 1st thought would be magnet wire; stuff small motors are made with, coils too. But that has a varnish coating as the insulator as Ken stated. The thing that you might be concerned with is 40Ga current carrying capability. Ya can't put much down that pipe. 0.090A or 90mA. If those signals are LED, then each could be 20mA if you are using the output of some port at it's rating...I.E Atmel ports are capable of sourcing/sinking 20mA. Ok for the individual LEDs, but overspec on power or ground depending on how you have them set up and all are on at the same time. If you can limit to 15mA you are good, although the brightness will be less. Worst case would be fire and Insurance companies know how to look for that where your coverage might be thrown out the window. Maybe this is splitting hairs but it IS something to watch for.
Another case to watch for are those super bright garage type lights from another country - no Underwriter's seal and not covered by most Insurance.

On my old layout, this wire powered all my signals. All my signals were LED. I know I bought the wire at a hobby shop but not sure which one. Many have closed up shop by now. I’ll continue my hunt. Thanks

Ribbon cable might work although you may have to look around for some tiny stuff. Most is close to 30Ga and of course you would have to peal it apart. Have an old laptop? If so, that cable is smaller but probably not multiple colors. Time for surgery.
Any reason you can't or do not want to use magnet wire? The enamel insulation is somewhat stout; ya just have to be careful with it when pulling. I.E. file down any burs or sharp edges in the mast and head before trying to feed it through. Needle nose pliers or tweezers with tape on the gripping edges to avoid scratching wire. You are talking about micro-surgery! Hardest part will be removing the insulation so you can solder, know someone with a solder pot?

You could try this wire "Wrapping Wire; Model: P/N B-30-1000; Wire Gauge: 30AWG" which can be found on amazon. It is solid wire with a very thin plastic insulation.

Many years ago I bought some very thin wire to build my signals with. It was very thin. I could fit about six wires down a 3/32 brass tube. (see photo) I thought I bought it from minitronics but I can’t find it there. I’m sure I did not buy it from Oregon Rail Supply. Anyone have any ideas where I could find this wire. All I found was 30 awg wire. Below is a comparison of the thin wire I need (green) and the 30 awg wire (orange).View attachment 149265View attachment 149266View attachment 149267
This is kind of pricey but https://www.micronmeters.com/category/miniature-wire-and-cable

Back