Varney or mantua

The Mantuas are sure heavy haulers. If I can find a pull gage, I'm going to try to measure the drawbar pull on this hog. There is supposed to be a formula or something that will indicate the number of "free-rolling" boxcars (whatever that means) on a level track. It would be kinda neat to know what train it would haul on a modular club layout, if those modellers get back to having shows after the pandemic subsides. Sure can't do it on a layout in a 14' x 14' room layout.
Correction, the 2-10-4's are M4's, not M3's.
Been doing some experiments and calculations. Using a spring-loaded scale, I measured the drawbar pull of the M4 at 3 oz, with the drivers almost ready to slip. According to a review of Athearn's SD60M in RMC, the drawbar pull of that was 4.8 oz. They state that that is the equivalent of pulling 67 "freerolling freightcars" (whatever those might be). 3/4.8 = .625 x 67 cars = 41.875 or 41 cars on a straight and level track. Considering that only the end drivers on my kitbashed models actually contact the rails, that isn't bad. IIRC, the starting tractive effort of steam locomotives is not as great as diesels, which is why steamers bunch the slack in a train before starting. Diesels OTH don't do that as they would probably break the drawbars somewhere in the train. But I might be wrong about that.

1633471961427.jpeg

Sometimes it's interesting to tell a story or two. Cop is right around the corner directing traffic, while these gents are having a little game with the galloping bones.
1633472120259.png

Meanwhile, down in the "jungle" some hoboes are waiting to nail a drag freight westbound.
1633472338789.png

Although our model railroads are supposed to let us forget the strife in the world, there is realities to be reminded of. It's 1953. A truce has been signed in Korea. A pair of Russian-built T-34 tanks tangled with two M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" tanks with their high velocity 76mm tubes. The Shermans scored a hit that blew the turret off the one -34, and the crew of the other bailed out and surrendered. Now, all four are on their way to Ft. Knox for evaluation. The two Shermans are on the single flatcar to the left.

Last edited:

Back