USRA 2-8-8-2 MTH Mallet question

pappywolf

Hey, just bought me a real nice 2-8-8-2 Rail King MTH Mallet . O scale. O-31 track. I have to say folks, I am lost on what to buy now. I do not know what transformer to buy or what track. This new Proto stuff is all new to me. I do know you all have been a great help in the past. SO here is your chance ! Help me spend some cash to get a nice start on a setup. I do want to stay with the engines history. THAT I am working on. SO HELP an old fart . Thanks All:eek:

Ok i bought a MTH Sd90 MAC NS for around the x-mas tree a few years back it has proto sound in it too as well. What i went with was lionel o31 track. But if you want to go realistic you can buy the mth track with gives a more realistic rails and track. Now as for a transformer i have a lionel 130 va PH1 powerhouse. Witch is quite efficent for me. Lionel has always been reliable for me and in my opion is a nice brand. But i dont know a whole lot about O scale. depending on how big layout you have the Voltage need will vary. Check in the manual see if it has any mininamal requirments.

I don't know anything about the Proto sound (or anything O guage, for that matter :eek: ), but if you can use a normal power pack, I do have a nice new-in-box "MRC Dual Power 027" with 2 walkaround throttles. One customer bought 4 of them off me for his club...apparently they're a nice unit. The list price is $300, but I'd be glad to get $150 for it. Time to clear off some shelves :)

Thanks for the info, please keep it going. This is my second O scale engine. The last one I had I was just a kid and boy was that a long time ago. Things have changed soooo much. This proto thing really sends me into a fog. Thanks again :D

I guess, sorry but I am not sure when they talk about proto sounds. I am looking for more info on the subject. Thanks for the web site. I will check it out.:D

My engine is a MTH model # 30-1156-1 Question , what is this dsc sound they talk about. Is that the same as proto sound ?

My engine is a MTH model # 30-1156-1 Question , what is this dsc sound they talk about. Is that the same as proto sound ?
Good question...and I'm afraid I don't know the answer. :(

I have enough trouble keeping track of the HO sound systems, and I deal with them a lot more than with O. Every company is just a little bit different...just enough to keep you guessing :rolleyes:

I can not find much history on this type of engine. What it pulled or what type of cargo. I was told this engine hauled coal. Is this right ? 40 hopper cars ! Would my engine pull that many cars? Thanks

That would be a monster setup! 40 cars ! Also, I can not get a straight answer to what type of transformer or controller to buy. You all have been great with your answers. Mth is the one that is so foggy. You would think they have the best one for there engines. Oh well, I will keep looking. Thanks All

That would be a monster setup! 40 cars ! Also, I can not get a straight answer to what type of transformer or controller to buy. You all have been great with your answers. Mth is the one that is so foggy. You would think they have the best one for there engines. Oh well, I will keep looking. Thanks All

Yes, 40 cars would be huge, and it would require a layout the size of a gym to really pull off. I also don't know if you could pull that much or not.

For the prototype of this engine that would be a short train. These engines were extremely powerful, and pulled long trains. Sometimes they'd use more than one engine, and the resulting trains were huge!

As for your transformer question, don't give up yet. Some folks visit every day, others stop by less often. You may well get an answer.

Please for give me for not getting back to anyone. My son in law Spc. Jason A. Lucas was killed in afganistan on friday the 13th. We are heart broken. He was only 24. He was over there only 38 days before a suicide bomber drove his car into Jasons vehical. He had two sons 3yo and 7yo . HOW MANY MORE WILL DIE ?????

Hummm, sorry for the loss, I feel for ya. Kinda sadened to know, 38 days there and I spend 7 months within 25 miles of Falujah in Iraq, and made it fine. Such a waste of our time, money & military.

So sorry for your loss pappywolf such a waste of fine young people. Many blessings for your family !

Please for give me for not getting back to anyone. My son in law Spc. Jason A. Lucas was killed in afganistan on friday the 13th. We are heart broken. He was only 24. He was over there only 38 days before a suicide bomber drove his car into Jasons vehical. He had two sons 3yo and 7yo . HOW MANY MORE WILL DIE ?????

Very sorry to hear about your loss, our thoughts are with you and your family.

Ken & Jan.

P.s on a hobby note I found the manual for your loco, check page thirty one for power requirements.
http://extranet.mth-railking.com/pdfapp/pdfs/instruction/30ST12491I.pdf

Ken.

Back