Using N scale roadbed on HO layout.

swissone

I'm in the process of laying roadbed and track on my medium sized layout modeled in the late 1800's era. I didn't want to use HO scale cork roadbed as I think the profile height is a bit too tall so what I'm doing is using N scale Midwest roadbed under the Microelectronics code 70 rail. To obtain a wider base, I'm inserting foam core board cut to the right depth. This gives me a 1 1/4 inch width atop the roadbed which just accommodates the 1 1/8 inch track ties. Has anyone here ever tried this? I really like the look of the code 70 track over the 1/8" thick N scale roadbed so far. I've Googled and forum searched this with no results. thanks.

I’m with Willie on this one!
I like how it lowers the track from the main plus if you don’t put a spacer between the strips it lets the ties poke out over the shoulder much like the prototype on less than main track.
I’ve run on track that had so little ballast the rails actually hung over the roadbed!

Oh ya...btw, I'm building an HO version of Furlow's San Juan Central...extended all dimensions from Original HOn3 to HO scale. Even though all the buildings, people, etc are the same in both scales, the track radii in HOn3 are pretty tiny so the bench and trackwork are more expansive in HO. I'm at the roadbed and track laying part now and I'll try posting some pics if anyone's interested? I'm really drawn to all the Blackstone products but man are they spendy...so, since I already had tons of HO stuff from prior endeavors, financial prudence dictated that I go HO.Maybe I'll try HOn3 someday after this layout? :0

Ah... just reread my post and of course it's MicroEngineering code 70 rail. Hmmph...Anyway, I've looked around Northwest Nevada where I live and Homosote in any thickness is difficult to find. Where would I look for 1/8" Homosote? thanks
I'm curious as well about 1/8th Homasote - heck, even 1/4 inch!

I'll try posting some pics if anyone's interested?
By the way, welcome to the forum [insert name here]. If there's anything that this forum's members love more than trains, it's pictures. Post away. Used to be that you had to make a certain number of posts or be a member for a certain period of time before the forum software would allow picture posts, but that may have changed with all of the recent software changes. Sherrel?

🌈 I did this a long time ago in certain places. You don't need spacers. What ever width you split them apart at, once they're glued in place and track is in, fill the center gap with dirt, leaving enough room to pour ballast up to the tie tops, or use all ballast if you can afford it...M
BTW, it's MicroEngineering, not electronics...

🌈 I did this a long time ago in certain places. You don't need spacers. What ever width you split them apart at, once they're glued in place and track is in, fill the center gap with dirt, leaving enough room to pour ballast up to the tie tops, or use all ballast if you can afford it...M
BTW, it's MicroEngineering, not electronics...
By the way, welcome to the forum [insert name here]. If there's anything that this forum's members love more than trains, it's pictures. Post away. Used to be that you had to make a certain number of posts or be a member for a certain period of time before the forum software would allow picture posts, but that may have changed with all of the recent software changes. Sherrel?
Thanks for the welcome santafewillie. I'm glad I joined and posted to this forum. It seems to have lots of helpful and active members. I've been a model railroader for many years and finally have to room and time to make my "dream layout" or close to it anyway. I posted a few pics in the construction area here showing the L girders early on and also the N scale roadbed widened for HO use. Thanks everyone for your comments....much appreciated.

Used to be that you had to make a certain number of posts or be a member for a certain period of time before the forum software would allow picture posts, but that may have changed with all of the recent software changes. Sherrel?

I wish I could answer that? With the switch to the upgraded version of software, I am no longer sure if there is still a certain number of posts that has to be made ???
I delegate to BOB or TERRY to answer that one?

Try it - if it does not work, then make a few remarks on other threads and try to post a photo again.
Keep doing that until it accepts that you are a legit person.

Swissone -- Take a look at this - you may want to try it?

Also, I posted some pics of a sample of foam roadbed that I received in the mail from a gentleman on E-Bay. Pictures are in the ANPL Coffee Shop today!

Back