Using a Digitrax UT4 with a DCS52

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I have a friend who is having some trouble getting the two working together.
Reading the manual says to plug the throttle into the loconet port.
He tried that but can't aquire a loco. Is there anything else he needs to do, i.e. command station settings?

It should work.
From what I remember of the UT4, after he dials up the address, he needs to select, or enter, it.

Yeah, according to the instructions, he should only have to plug it into the Loconet port on the back of the 52 then select his loco as he normally does.
The throttle works fine on my layout when he plugs it into a UP5.
It's an IR throttle.
Is there anything about the LED lights on the front of the UT4 that would indicate anything? He says the lights are red when he plugs it into the 52??? Not sure what that's about.

If the led light is red and flashing then it didn't acquire or accept the loco address. If it does it would turn green.

He gets the red flashing light when tryin to operate the UT4 plugged into the DCS52.
I'm think loconet port problem.
The video didn't cover the flashing light.

He gets the red flashing light when tryin to operate the UT4 plugged into the DCS52.
In the video you can see when the loconet acquired that it changed from red flashing to green flashing.....

The flashing red light means he is trying to acquire an address already assigned to another throttle.

You can steal it from the UT-4. It’s best just to dispatch all your unused addresses with a command throttle, mine being an original DT400. There is a certain time limit when the command station will “purge” unused addresses.
When, in the past, I stole an address from my command throttle with one of my UT throttles, the command throttle could be heard clicking as the speed steps increased on the UT throttle. The speed steps would also increase and decrease as I moved the UT throttle knob. I didn’t like that so I would avoid stealing from the command throttle.

Last edited:

Back